Job Number 23023798
Job Category Food and Beverage & Culinary
Location JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai, Sheikh Zayed Road Business Bay, Dubai, United Arab Emirates, United Arab Emirates
Located Remotely? N
Position Type Management
Functions as the strategic business leader of the property's food and beverage operation, including Restaurants/Bars, Room Service and Banquets/Catering, where applicable. Position oversees the development and implementation of departmental strategies and ensures implementation of the brand service strategy and brand initiatives. The position ensures the food and beverage operation meets the brand's target customer needs, ensures employee satisfaction, and focuses on growing revenues and maximizing the financial performance of the department. Develops and implements property-wide strategies that deliver products and services to meet or exceed the needs and expectations of the brand's target customer and property employees and provides a return on investment.
SCOPE / BUSINESS CONTEXT
CANDIDATE PROFILE Education and Experience
- A Full Time position based at Le Meridien Al Aqah Beach Resort Fujairah.
- Number of Reports - 60 Employees.
- Titles of Reports - All F&B Service department positions.
- High school diploma or GED; 6 years experience in the food and beverage, culinary, event management, or related professional area.
Skills and Knowledge
- 2-year degree from an accredited university in Food Service Management, Hotel and Restaurant Management, Hospitality, Business Administration, or related major; 4 years experience in the food and beverage, culinary, event management, or related professional area.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES Developing and Maintaining Food and Beverage Goals
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Management of Financial Resources - Determining how money will be spent to get the work done, and accounting for these expenditures.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Applied Business Knowledge - Understanding market dynamics, enterprise level objectives and important aspects of the company's business to accurately diagnose strengths and weaknesses, anticipate opportunities and risks, identify issues, and develop strategies and plans. Aligning individual and team actions with strategies and plans to drive business results.
- Management of Material Resources - Obtaining and seeing to the appropriate use of equipment, facilities, and materials needed to do certain work.
Developing and Maintaining Budgets
- Sets expectations and holds food and beverage leadership team accountable for demonstrating desired service behaviors.
- Reviews financial reports and statements to determine how Food and Beverage is performing against budget.
- Makes recommendations for CAPEX funding of food and beverage equipment and renovations in accordance with brand business strategy.
- Works with food and beverage leadership team to determine areas of concern and develops strategies to improve the department's financial performance.
- Establishes challenging, realistic and obtainable goals to guide operation and performance.
- Strives to improve service performance.
Leading Food and Beverage Team
- Develops and manages Food and Beverage budget.
- Monitors the department's actual and projected sales to ensure revenue goals are met or exceeded and opportunities are identified and addressed.
- Ensures cash control and liquor control policies are in place in food & beverage areas and followed by all related employees.
- Focuses on maintaining profit margins without compromising guest or employee satisfaction.
Ensuring Exceptional Customer Service
- Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
- Encourages and builds mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
- Achieves and exceeds goals including performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
- Serves as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviors.
- Develops means to improve profit, including estimating cost and benefit, exploring new business opportunities, etc.
- Identifies opportunities to increase profits and create value by challenging existing processes, encouraging innovation and driving necessary change.
- Ensures that regular, on-going communication occurs in all areas of food and beverage (e.g., pre-meal briefings, staff meetings).
- Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with direct reports and entire food & beverage team. Ensures direct reports do the same for their team.
- Develops a food and beverage operating strategy that is aligned with the brand's business strategy and leads its execution.
- Identifies the developmental needs of others and coaches, mentors, or otherwise helps others to improve their knowledge or skills.
- Stays aware of market trends and introduces new food and beverage products to meet or exceed customer expectations, generate increased revenue and ensure a competitive position in the market.
Managing and Conducting Human Resource Activities
- Provides services that are above and beyond for customer satisfaction and retention.
- Improves service by communicating and assisting individuals to understand guest needs, providing guidance, feedback, and individual coaching when needed.
- Reviews findings from comment cards and guest satisfaction results with F& B team and ensures appropriate corrective action is taken.
- Reviews comment cards, guest satisfaction results and other data to identify areas of improvement.
- Empowers employees to provide excellent guest service.
- Estimates cost and benefit ratio, maintaining balance between profit and service satisfaction.
- Shares plans to take corrective action based on comment cards and guest satisfaction results with property leadership.
- Provides guidance and direction to subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
- Coaches and supports food & beverage leadership team to effectively manage wages, food & beverage cost and controllable expenses (e.g., restaurant supplies, uniforms, etc.).
- Hires food & beverage leadership team members who demonstrate strong functional expertise, creativity and entrepreneurial leadership to meet the business needs of the operation.
- Sets goals and expectations for direct reports using the performance review process and holds staff accountable for successful performance.
- Ensures that expectations and objectives are clearly communicated to subordinates; subordinates are also open to raise questions and/or concerns.
- Brings issues to the attention of Human Resources as necessary.
- Ensures employees are treated fairly and equitably.
- Coaches team by providing specific feedback to improve performance.
MANAGEMENT COMPETANCIES Leadership
- Informs and/or update the executives, the peers and the subordinates on relevant information in a timely manner.
- Provides information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
- Analyzes information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
- Estimate food, liquor, wine, and other beverage consumption in order to anticipate amounts to be purchased or requisitioned.
- Order and purchase equipment and supplies.
- Adaptability - Develops strategies and identifies resources to implement and manage change; models flexibility in adjusting priorities; and communicates the need for change in a positive way that encourages commitment.
- Communication - Actively listens and uses appropriate communication styles to deliver complex information in a clear concise way and influences others to accept a point of view, gain consensus, or take action.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - Models and sets expectations for solving complex problems, collecting and comparing information to evaluate alternatives, considering their potential impact before making decisions, involving others to gain agreement and support, and guiding others to implement solutions.
- Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Building and Contributing to Teams - Leads and participates as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of common goals while fostering cohesion and collaboration among team members.
- Driving for Results - Focuses and guides others in accomplishing work objectives.
- Planning and Organizing - Gathers information and resources required to set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizes and arranges work requirements self and/or others to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
- Coworker Relationships - Develops and uses collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals.
- Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer needs and actions consistent with the company's service standards.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
- Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
- Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of organizational units, jobs, and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
- Talent Management - Provides guidance and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
- Applied Learning - Seeks and makes the most of learning opportunities to improve performance of self and/or others.
- Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information (e.g., data related to employee engagement, guest satisfaction, and property financial performance) to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges.
- Technical Acumen - Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges.
- Food Production and Presentation - Knowledge of techniques and equipment for preparing and presenting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques and sanitation standards. Willingness to adhere to internal company standards.
- Food and Beverage Marketing - Knowledge of local and internal marketing efforts to drive revenue. Develops and executes marketing plans using relevant information as appropriate such as feedback gathered from customers.
- Food and Beverage Inventory - Knowledge of procedures and techniques for food storage and rotation, quality assurance audit requirements, merchandising food products, inventory and supply storage, and shift production.
- Finance/Accounting - Knowledge and understanding of financial knowledge, controls, inventory, costs, expenses, and all cash handling procedures and policies.
- Purchasing and Materials Management - Knowledge of practices and procedures needed to maintain material, equipment and supplies; including vendor identification and contract negotiation, supply requisition and purchasing, and inventory control.
- Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
- Basic Computer Skills - Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
- Mathematical Reasoning - Demonstrates ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
- Oral Comprehension - Demonstrates ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Reading Comprehension - Demonstrates understanding of written sentences and paragraphs in work-related documents.
OTHER Safety and Security
- Writing - Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Policies and Procedures
- Report work related accidents, or other injuries immediately upon occurrence to manager/supervisor.
- Follow company and department safety and security policies and procedures to ensure a clean, safe, and secure environment.
- Notify Loss Prevention/Security of any guest reports of theft.
- Follow company, hotel and department policies and procedures.
- Follows Marriott International Hotels Limited Regional Office policies and procedures
- Protect the privacy and security of guests and coworkers.
- Maintain confidentiality of proprietary materials and information.
- Ensure uniform, nametags, and personal appearance are clean, hygienic, professional and in compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Protect company tools, equipment, machines, or other assets in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Perform other reasonable job duties as requested by Supervisors and Management.
- Working hours as required to do your job but normally not less than 54 hours per week.
- Actively listen and respond positively to guest questions, concerns, and requests using brand or property specific process (e.g., LEARN, JW Symphony of Service) to resolve issues, delight, and build trust.
- Assist other employees to ensure proper coverage and prompt guest service.
- Anticipate guests' service needs, including asking questions of guests to better understand their needs and watching/listening to guest preferences and acting on them whenever possible.
- Address guests' service needs in a professional, positive, and timely manner.
- Engage guests in conversation regarding their stay, property services, and area attractions/offerings.
- Thank guests with genuine appreciation and provide a fond farewell.
- Welcome and acknowledge each and every guest with a smile, eye contact, and a friendly verbal greeting, using the guest's name when possible.
- Supply guests/residents with directions and information regarding property amenities, services, and hours of operation, and local areas of interest and activities.
Working with Others
- Answer telephones using appropriate etiquette including answering the phone within 3 rings, answering with a smile in one's voice, using the callers' name, transferring calls to appropriate person/department, requesting permission before placing the caller on hold, taking and relaying messages, and allowing the caller to end the call.
- Speak to guests and co-workers using clear, appropriate and professional language.
- Talk with and listen to other employees to effectively exchange information.
Quality Assurance/Quality Improvement
- Support all co-workers and treat them with dignity and respect.
- Handle sensitive issues with employees and/or guests with tact, respect, diplomacy, and confidentiality. Develop and maintain positive and productive working relationships with other employees and departments.
- Partner with and assist others to promote an environment of teamwork and achieve common goals.
- Comply with quality assurance expectations and standards, e.g. GuestVoice and JW Marriott Brand Standard Audit.
- Enter and locate work-related information using computers and/or point of sale systems.
- Stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time or for an entire work shift.
- Read and visually verify information in a variety of formats (e.g., small print).
- Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 10 pounds without assistance.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
At Le Méridien, we believe in helping guests unlock the unexpected and engaging experiences each destination has to offer. Our guests are curious and creative, cosmopolitan, culture seekers that appreciate sophisticated, timeless service. We provide original, chic and memorable service and experiences that inspire guests to unlock the destination. We're looking for curious, creative and well-informed people to join our team. If you appreciate connecting with like-minded guests and have a deep desire to create unexpected experiences, we invite you to explore career opportunities with Le Méridien.