Viking is a strong and dynamic company - with a growing fleet of more than 80 river ships and seven ocean vessels cruising over 100 itineraries around the world. In 2022, our guests will experience all the comfort and elegance of our award-winning fleet with two expedition ships built specifically to explore the world's most remote destinations. We will also expand our operations to the U.S. with the addition of a new Mississippi River ship.
A VIKING LEADERSHIP ROLE
As a Viking Shipboard Leader, you represent Viking’s values and leadership philosophy (Hávamál). You are a hospitality professional who demonstrates passion for excellence, who takes ownership for your areas of responsibility, and who believes in empowering your team with the skills, knowledge and tools to succeed. You are an exceptional role model for the Viking Family and have strong motivation to achieve the company’s goals and objectives. You are flexible, stress resistant, focused, and a truly committed team member.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
- The Chef de Partie (CDP) independently runs a main section in the Galley, with as little supervision as possible. The position is a key role and is fully supported by Middle Management, in all areas.
- You are the link between the Galley Management and all other lower positions in the Galley Operation.
- You are required to have in-depth knowledge about all the sections within the hot and cold kitchen.
- It is your responsibility to ensure safe, quality food production, and to create a friendly, guest-oriented service culture to ensure Guest satisfaction and repeat business, which in turn, will increase revenue and profitability of the company.
- Control and maintain a main Galley section and its entire food production; follow set recipes & dish guidelines; assist with cleaning during food preparation periods, if additional cleaning is required.
- Bring forward any suggestions and ideas for improvement to the Galley Team as a whole, this includes identifying training needs and operational issues, should they arise.
- Prepare daily electronic food requisitions by counterchecking merchandise in Galley stores.
- Undertake recipe reviews on a daily basis and, if additionally requested by the Executive Chef/Outlet Chef, maintain recipe folders (containing all recipes) of the assigned section and ensure that they are kept in an immaculate condition.
- Prepare food samples whenever the Executive Chef deem necessary (show plates, tastings, recipe trials, etc.); ensure the quality and presentation of food during food preparation and service hours.
- Maintain and control the entire Service Line at the relevant section during meals hours, ensuring that the food served is in line with Viking STAR Service Standards.
- Countercheck daily deliveries from the Storeroom to ensure its accuracy and report any discrepancies to an immediate Supervisor.
- Ensure economical work practices and control food production to minimize and/or avoid wastage.
- Ensure that food preparations/storage are in line with all Public Health Policies and Company Regulations and enforce & maintain “clean as you go” work habits.
- Be familiar with the Human Resources Manual & Shipboard Training; have an in-depth understanding of the working hours policies & procedures; be familiar with crew contracts and work schedule hours/week, to maintain working hours paperwork.
- Lead and support a multi-cultural team, maximizing crew satisfaction, productivity and retention; meet with Team Leaders on a daily basis for “The Daily Reunion”, to provide feedback & operational updates as well as to ensure that your department is performing to Viking’s STAR Service Standards.
- Regularly inspect that the mise-en-place for all areas are prepared 15 minutes prior to service.
- Appoint and enforce specific job responsibilities to all key personnel working under the direction of the CDP and establish the manner and means to train personnel.
- Provide competent leadership to all direct reports. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: Conducting performance reviews, including discipline as needed, ensuring Maritime Labor Convention (MLC) compliance and onboard training, succession planning, crew communication and recognition.
- Ensure you always wear the appropriate and task specific Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as required for your duties onboard. Always use correct lifting techniques to prevent injuries.
- Uphold impeccable grooming standards within your team at all times by complying with Viking’s Image and Uniform Standards.
- Ensure that company property is appropriately secured and protected, especially during rough weather conditions, in order to prevent unnecessary loss or damage.
- Become knowledgeable and ensure your team are knowledgeable about itinerary-related ports of call, shore excursions and shipboard activities such as events, entertainment and programs.
- Positively contribute to achieving/succeeding Culinary KPI goals (quality & financial) for the Culinary Department; have full knowledge about safety & security procedures and can operate in line with all Public Health, Environmental and Safety & Security Policies; participate in all training concerning onboard training, safety & security, fire prevention, evacuation exercises as required by the company.
- Fulfill any last-minute requests, within your area of responsibility, due to special functions, itinerary changes and/or other unforeseen changes, as instructed by the relevant Supervisor and/or Manager.
This document describes the primary activities, duties and responsibilities of this position. Your manager or supervisor may assign additional duties and responsibilities to you.
- A required minimum of eight years’ culinary experience, including at least two years’ experience as a CDP or similar position, within a premium brand hospitality environment, or a culinary education with two years of experience as a CDP or similar position. Advanced culinary skills are required.
- Fluent in English - must have excellent English communication skills to clearly interpret and orate documents, such as menus and recipes.
- Must have experience in leading multi-cultural teams; flexible, stress resistant, committed team player.
- Guest-focused, service-oriented, positive personality, professional appearance and impeccable hygiene standards are required with excellent knowledge of all Public Health Policies; team builder with exceptional work ethic, motivational skills and coaching abilities.
- Must be at least twenty-one (21) years old, able to physically handle 50+ lbs. (30KGs) on a daily basis, and work a minimum of eleven hours a day, seven days a week.
- Previous cruise industry experience is an advantage.
GUIDELINES AND REGULATIONS
Implement Standard Operating Procedures & STAR Service Standards within the department.
Ensure appropriate appearance and clothing according to the updated Grooming Standards.
The company reserves the right to change/extend this job description if necessary, at any point of time during her/his employment.