Job Number 22219676
Job Category Food and Beverage & Culinary
Location JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai, Sheikh Zayed Road Business Bay, Dubai, United Arab Emirates, United Arab Emirates
Located Remotely? N
Position Type Non-Management
Supervise and coordinate activities of cooks and workers. Determine how food should be presented, and create decorative food displays. Ensure proper portion, arrangement, and food garnish to be served. Monitor the quantity of food that is prepared. Inform Food & Beverage service staff of menu specials and out of stock menu items. Prepare special meals or substitute items. Assist cooks and kitchen staff with various tasks. Provide cooks with needed items. Monitor stock of kitchen supplies and food. Maintain kitchen logs for food safety program and food products. Ensure the quality of the food items and notify manager if a product does not meet specifications.
Assist management in hiring, training, scheduling, evaluating, counseling, disciplining, and motivating and coaching employees. Follow all company and safety and security policies and procedures; report maintenance needs, accidents, injuries, and unsafe work conditions to manager; complete safety training and certifications. Ensure uniform and personal appearance is clean and professional; maintain confidentiality of proprietary information; protect company assets. Address guests' service needs. Speak with others using clear and professional language. Develop and maintain positive working relationships with others; support team to reach common goals; listen and respond appropriately to the concerns of other employees. Ensure adherence to quality expectations and standards. Stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time. Reach overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting, pulling, and stooping. Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 25 pounds without assistance. Perform other reasonable job duties as requested by Supervisors.
SCOPE / BUSINESS CONTEXT
CANDIDATE PROFILE Experience: Skills and Knowledge Education or Certification SPECIFIC DUTIES
- A Full Time position based at JW Marriott Marquis Dubai.
- Number of Direct Reports - 5-10
- Titles of Direct Reports - DCDP, Commis
The following are specific responsibilities and contributions critical to the successful performance of the position: General Kitchen
Ensure the quality of the food items and notify manager if a product does not meet specifications.
Communicate any assistance needed during busy periods to the Chef to ensure optimum service to guests.
Monitor the quantity of food that is prepared and the portions that are served in to control food waste and ensure that good food is not thrown away.
Check and ensure the correctness of the temperature of appliances and food using thermostats and thermometers, including monitoring freezer systems, such as fans, drains, and doors, for proper operation, and report issues or problems to facility management.
Operate ovens, stoves, grills, microwaves, and fryers to prepare foods.
Report maintenance issues immediately to appropriate personnel (i.e., management or maintenance).
Inform Chef of any excess food items that can be used in daily specials or elsewhere.
Maintain food logs for all food products (e.g., production charts). Sanitation and Maintenance
Wash and disinfect kitchen area including tables, tools, knives, and equipment to ensure sanitary conditions and meet the departmental standards, including using sanitizers required by health department.
Set-up and break down work station with required mise en place, tools, equipment and supplies, ensuring items are to established specs, ensuring adequate fill of containers, storing items appropriately, and cleaning station as appropriate.
Follow and ensure compliance with sanitation and cleaning procedures and pest control guidelines, reporting pest control issues to appropriate personnel. Food Safety
Follow appropriate personal hygiene procedures to ensure food served to guests is safe for consumption, including disinfecting hands prior to handling food and wearing a hat/hairnet and proper footwear.
Follow and ensure compliance with food safety and handling policies and procedures, such as product rotation, First In-First Out (FIFO); dating, labeling, cleaning, and organizing coolers/freezers/storage areas; and Cold Chain compliance, across all food-related departments and areas.
Prepare all potentially hazardous foods at the correct temperature according to the HACCP guidelines.
Maintain kitchen logs for food safety program compliance (e.g., A1, A2, A3 etc.).
Maintain up-to-date knowledge of company Food Safety Programs within assigned area of responsibility, as well as Dubai Municipality standards.
Follow guidelines and checklists related to PIC (Person in charge)
Support initiatives related to food safety.
Report any guest complaints or other issues related to food safety to the Culinary management.
Monitor stock of kitchen supplies and food to identify needed items and ensure neat and orderly storage, and communicate potential product shortages, or price changes, to supervisor/manager. Kitchen Tools & Equipment
Use kitchen tools safely and appropriately, including using appropriate tools to open cartons, boxes, and cans; keeping knives sharpened; using proper knife handling procedures; using correct knives for particular food item or specific task; using dry pads when moving hot material; and engaging all appropriate safety devices prior to operating equipment.
Use measuring tools (for example, scale, measuring cups, measuring spoons) to precisely measure ingredients and portion sizes. Food Preparation
Prepare and cook food according to recipes, quality standards, presentation standards, and food preparation checklist, establishing priority items.
Test foods to determine if they have been cooked sufficiently, using methods such as tasting, smelling, or piercing them with utensils.
Weigh, measure, and mix ingredients according to recipes or personal judgment, using various kitchen utensils and equipment.
Prepare ingredients for cooking, including portioning, chopping, and storing food before use.
Monitor food quality while preparing food and throughout the day utilizing the HACCP forms and production charts.
Wash and peel (if required) fresh fruits and vegetables to prepare them for cooking or consumption.
Assist cooks and kitchen staff with various tasks as needed, and provide cooks with needed items.
Prepare special meals or substitute items, where possible, to satisfy guest requests.
Supervise and coordinate activities of cooks and workers engaged in food preparation.
Determine how food should be presented, and create decorative food displays . OTHER Safety and Security
Policies and Procedures
- Report work related accidents, or other injuries immediately upon occurrence to manager/supervisor.
- Follow company and department safety and security policies and procedures to ensure a clean, safe, and secure environment.
- Notify Loss Prevention/Security of any guest reports of theft.
- Follow company, hotel and department policies and procedures.
- Follows Marriott International Hotels Limited Regional Office policies and procedures
- Protect the privacy and security of guests and coworkers.
- Maintain confidentiality of proprietary materials and information.
- Ensure uniform, nametags, and personal appearance are clean, hygienic, professional and in compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Protect company tools, equipment, machines, or other assets in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Perform other reasonable job duties as requested by Supervisors and Management.
- Working hours as required to do your job but normally not less than 48 hours per week.
- Actively listen and respond positively to guest questions, concerns, and requests using brand or property specific process (e.g., LEARN, JW Symphony of Service) to resolve issues, delight, and build trust.
- Assist other employees to ensure proper coverage and prompt guest service.
- Anticipate guests' service needs, including asking questions of guests to better understand their needs and watching/listening to guest preferences and acting on them whenever possible.
- Address guests' service needs in a professional, positive, and timely manner.
- Engage guests in conversation regarding their stay, property services, and area attractions/offerings.
- Thank guests with genuine appreciation and provide a fond farewell.
- Welcome and acknowledge each and every guest with a smile, eye contact, and a friendly verbal greeting, using the guest's name when possible.
- Supply guests/residents with directions and information regarding property amenities, services, and hours of operation, and local areas of interest and activities.
Working with Others
- Answer telephones using appropriate etiquette including answering the phone within 3 rings, answering with a smile in one's voice, using the callers' name, transferring calls to appropriate person/department, requesting permission before placing the caller on hold, taking and relaying messages, and allowing the caller to end the call.
- Speak to guests and co-workers using clear, appropriate and professional language.
- Talk with and listen to other employees to effectively exchange information.
Quality Assurance/Quality Improvement
- Support all co-workers and treat them with dignity and respect.
- Handle sensitive issues with employees and/or guests with tact, respect, diplomacy, and confidentiality. Develop and maintain positive and productive working relationships with other employees and departments.
- Partner with and assist others to promote an environment of teamwork and achieve common goals.
- Comply with quality assurance expectations and standards, e.g. GuestVoice and JW Marriott Brand Standard Audit.
- Enter and locate work-related information using computers and/or point of sale systems.
- Stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time or for an entire work shift.
- Read and visually verify information in a variety of formats (e.g., small print).
- Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 10 pounds without assistance.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
Marriott International portfolio of brands includes both JW Marriott and Marriott Hotels.Marriott Hotels
, Marriott International's flagship brand with more than 500 global locations, is advancing the art of hosting so that our guests can travel brilliantly. As a host with Marriott Hotels, you will help keep this promise by delivering premium choices, sophisticated style, and well-crafted details. With your skills and imagination, together we will innovate and reinvent the future of travel. JW Marriott
is part of Marriott International's luxury portfolio and consists of more than 80 beautiful properties in gateway cities and distinctive resort locations around the world. JW believes our associates come first. Because if you're happy, our guests will be happy. It's as simple as that. Our hotels offer a work experience unlike any other, where you'll be part of a community and enjoy a true camaraderie with a diverse group of co-workers. JW creates opportunities for training, development, recognition and most importantly, a place where you can really pursue your passions in a luxury environment. Treating guests exceptionally starts with the way we take care of our associates. That's The JW Treatment™.