One of the largest cruise company in the world is looking for Chef de Partie Butcher.
The CDP Butcher works under the guidance of the Executive Chef. He/she will report to the Executive Sous Chef Main Galley when the Executive Chef is not on duty. He/she reports directly to the Sous Chef Deck 1. He/she is responsible for all meat and poultry production as indicated in the Ex. Chef’s meat order, the menu plan, recipes and methods. Ensures that production is efficient and no waste occurs. He/she supervises and monitors the 1st. Cook, Cook and Asst. Cook Butcher at his/her station. He/she is responsible to take care of all requests from the Executives Chef pertaining to specific assignments that may arise with short notice, due to special functions, itinerary or other unforeseen changes. He/she is responsible to frequently communicate the status of all food production to the Executive Chef. He/she is responsible to supervise, monitor and delegate all, and extra, work-load to subordinates within a timely and cost efficient manner according to the budget. He/she is responsible to inform the Executive Chef or his/her assistant when routine work, for various reasons, can’t be executed in the given time frame and await further instruction. He/she shall inspect all equipment and machinery used in the area of responsibility and report any problems or situations to the Executive Chef or the Chef’s Personal Assistant. He/she has a thorough knowledge of butchery and is fully responsible for the quality and safety of food leaving the station. He/she is training subordinates in all facets of butchery whenever time allows it. Make sure all food is stored and all areas are cleaned to USPH standards.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
* Always work as a team member.
* Follow “Clean as you go” work habits.
* Follow the Meat Order Cycle created by the Executive Chef.
* Do any special duties requested by the Executive Chef.
* Follow safe work habits and notify supervisors of any dangerous or unsafe place in work area.
* Make frequent suggestions to your direct supervisor in order to bring the standard up and keep your interest on the job.
* Create working schedule for subordinates.
* Organize meat and fish orders according to the menu. Check on a daily basis.
* Striploin steaks, Rib-Eye steaks, Flank Steaks and Skirt Steaks have to be cut and marinated one week in advance up to specifications.
* Always thaw all meats in the therefore designated meat thawing rooms.
* Cut to portion size as explained in the methods or SOP’s.
* Tenderloin steaks have to be cut and marinated at least two days in advance.
* Keep exact check on size and weight of the required products.
* Make weekly yield tests in close cooperation with the Executive Chef.
* See that all machines, working utensils, freezers and refrigerators are cleaned and in proper working condition.
* Make sure to ask your supervisor for permission first before working overtime or allow subordinates to work overtime.
* Check on a proper thawing production.
* Work closely with storekeepers and provision masters. Keep a very good relationship.
* Check all provisions received from storeroom and report discrepancies immediately.
* You are entirely in charge of training all subordinates whenever time permits.
* You are held responsible for the butcher shop and the inventory.
* Report frequently to the sous chef deck 1 and ask for help if necessary.
* Be food cost conscious, check wastage.
* Cleaning procedure on a daily basis according to company standards and U.S. Public Health.
* All prepared food is to be handled with plastic gloves only.
* All scheduled meetings have to be attended on time.
* Always keep your cabin clean. No food items, hotel utensils, etc. allowed in cabin.
* Keep your personal appearance in top shape and to company standards, lead by example.
* Knows computers and can teach subordinates.
* 2 years 1st. Cook Butcher on cruise ships. 1 year CDP or Chief Butcher in a hotel or resort. 2 years Chief Butcher in a supermarket or Butcher in a factory. 5 years experience in the hotel/restaurant environment.
* Good knowledge of quantity food production. Has the ability to taste all foods to assure correct preparation of sausages, pates, terrines, marinades and meat-based stuffing’s.
* Ability to read, interpret and demonstrate the preparation of recipes.
* Knows how to work without direct supervision, can make decisions and is able to control various sections in the kitchen. Excellent cooking skills. Very good oral and written communication. Very good knowledge of quality food operations. Has the ability to taste all foods to assure correct preparation.
* Ability to work with minimum supervision and experienced in training subordinates in large quantity bakery preparation and good knowledge of quality breads operations.
* Extensive knowledge of food handling procedures with regard to public health standards.
* Ability to work positively and cooperatively in a diverse team environment to meet overall established time frames for the entire food service operation.
* Ability to learn and utilize knowledge of policies and practices involved in the human resources function. Ability to supervise an international team of entry-level cooks and chefs in a positive and productive manner by motivating, developing and managing employees as they work. Ability to utilize and administer the disciplinary action process through coaching and counseling to improve performance or recommend termination of employment.
* Ability to communicate tactfully with department heads, coworkers and other shipboard employees to resolve problems and negotiate resolutions.
* Completion of high school or basic education equivalency preferred.
* Computer knowledge is required.
* Ability to speak English clearly, distinctly and cordially with guests.
* Ability to read and write English in order to understand and interpret written procedures.
One-click apply is an additional way to apply using your saved CV, with just one click or tap. You can add a cover letter and edit your settings at any time in My Account and can still apply in the usual way if you want to change your CV or add a cover letter before submitting your application.
Please note: You should never need to provide bank account details
or any other financial information, or make any form of payment, when applying for a job.
If you are ever asked to do this by a recruiter on our site please contact us
with the advertiser's company name and the title of the job vacancy.
Fast, simple, effective recruitment
Whether you want to advertise a single job quickly and easily or search candidates on our CV database, CatererGlobal can help you.
Qualified, experienced jobseekers use CatererGlobal to search for jobs. Our world class search technology and tools enables them to find the most relevant job. Your job!