Come be a part of something bigger!
Benchmark | Pyramid is a strong believer in offering our employees Work-Life Effectiveness through, practices, policies, and programs to help our employees achieve success at both work and home. Here are just some of the great benefits we offer:
- Full Time employees have access to Medical and Dental insurance to fit your needs
- Benchmark University (You can grow both personally and professionally through on-line webinars and self-study courses)
- 401K match (Let us help you build your financial future)
- Companywide Hotel Room Discounts (Who doesn't love to get away)
- Paid Time Off
- Employee Assistance Program (We are here to support you)
- Employee family events (bring the kids!)
- Partnerships and discounts with major retailers such as AT&T, Verizon and Dish to name a few
- Many more, please inquire for more details
We are looking for a highly motivated and analytical individual to join our leadership team as Assistant Director of Food and Beverage. The Assistant Director of Food and Beverage is a proactive solution seeker, lead by example, don't settle for the normal, and continuously encourage and engage their team members. They will provide the strategic leadership required to achieve the fiduciary and quality goals of the owners, guests, stakeholders, and team members. The Assistant Director will ensure the effective and efficient operation of all facets of the resort Food and Beverage operation, while improving on the current model and be responsible for managing in a manner consistent with the mission, operating philosophy, standards, and values of Turtle Bay Resort.
What you will have an opportunity to do:
REPORTS TO: Director of Food and Beverage
SUPERVISES: F&B Administrators, F&B Outlet Managers, In Room Dining Manager, Banquet Manager
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
- 3 years' experience as Food and Beverage Manager, preferably in a luxury hotel and or full-service resort.
- Knowledge of staffing guidelines/requirements for daily food and beverage operations.
- Ability to make quick decisions in high stress situations.
- Fluency in English, both verbal and written.
- Pleasant and positive personality.
- County of Honolulu Liquor Card.
- Four-year college degree in related field (food and beverage, hotel management, etc.)
- 5 years' experience as Food and Beverage Manager or 1 year as an Assistant Director of Food and Beverage, preferably in a Resort/luxury hotel.
- Experience in financial and cash management analysis.
- Experience in a union environment preferred.
- Knowledge of Micros and OpenTable platforms preferred.
- Previous guest relations training and/or upscale restaurant training.
- Fluency in second language desired.
- First Aid Certification or other relative certifications related to Food and Beverage preferred.
Endure various physical movements throughout the work areas. Remain in stationary/upright position for 8 hours throughout work shift. Exert physical effort in lifting, carrying, or transporting up to 50 pounds. Reach 6 feet. Satisfactorily communicate with guests, management, and co-workers to their understanding.
Food and Beverage outlets, Banquet meeting rooms/any Hotel locations designated for a group function or event, service areas of the Hotel.
Job involves working:
- under variable temperature conditions (or extreme heat or cold).
- under variable noise levels.
- around fumes and/or odor hazards.
- around dust and/or mite hazards - asthma/allergies.
- around chemicals.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
General knowledge and responsibilities
- Maintain complete knowledge of: All liquor brands, beers and non-alcoholic selections available in restaurant. The particular characteristics and description of every wine/champagne by the glass and major wines on the wine list. Designated glassware and garnishes for drinks. All menu items, preparation method/time, ingredients, sauces, portion sizes, garnishes, presentation and prices. Daily menu specials, 86'd items. Dining room layout, table/seat/station numbers, proper table set-ups, room capacity, hours of operation, price range, dress code. and manual system procedures. Daily house count, arrivals/departures, VIPs, site inspections, media in-house. Scheduled in-house group activities, locations and times.
- Maintain complete knowledge and strictly abide by state liquor regulations, particularly those prohibiting service to minors, intoxicated persons and drunk driving.
- Drive revenue through partnering with vendors and creating promotions and/or activations that will attract guests and the community.
- Maintain complete knowledge of and comply with all departmental policies/service procedures/standards, sequence of service and equipment usage to upscale/4 Diamond standards.
- Ensure that implementation and maintenance of standards of food, beverage and service quality are commensurate with a first-class operation.
- Responsible for implementing company-wide systems, processes and software.
- Relay information about upcoming events to staff under their supervision. Relay company policy and procedures to staff under their supervision.
- Participate and prepare service standards information for all outlets, as well as track compliance.
- Create appealing, high quality, marketable cycle menus and special event menus.
- Assist managers in complying with the Union contract guidelines.
- Supply information about department capabilities and programs to other departments and clients or potential clients.
- Respond to needs and requests of guests and potential guests. Maintain positive relations at all times.
- Be familiar with all hotel services/features and local attractions/activities to respond to guest inquiries accurately.
- Check storage areas for proper supplies, organization and cleanliness. Instruct designated personnel to rectify any cleanliness/organization deficiencies.
- Inspect all aspects of the restaurant environment ensuring compliance with standards of cleanliness and order. Direct respective personnel to rectify deficiencies.
- Check stock of wines/champagnes and order shortages noted. Ensure wines are received, properly stored and kept secured.
- Assist in monthly inventory process.
- Serve the other Turtle Bay Resort team members who serve our guests. Act as a salesperson, safety ambassador, cleaner, community, guest and employee ambassador.
- Assist in the Food and Beverage outlets in whatever capacity needed. Monitor and maintain cleanliness, sanitation, and organization of assigned work areas. Respond to any reasonable task assigned by Managing Director.
Employee relations and leadership
- Assist managers in hiring, training, supervising, and scheduling food and beverage staff/management in accordance with business needs, productivity and Turtle Bay Resort's policies and procedures.
- Develop management skills in employees.
- Create a comfortable atmosphere to encourage committed and loyal employees.
- Foster and promote a cooperative working climate, maximizing productivity and employee morale.
- Conduct regular meetings with employees to monitor effectiveness of management in all outlets.
- Assist in conducting weekly managers meeting to direct efforts, evaluate progress, track goals, monitor sales, results, discuss guest comments, staff morals, performance.
- Participate in pre-shift meetings with staff and review all information pertinent to the day's business. Inspect grooming and attire of staff; rectify any deficiencies.
- Assist managers in the creation of short and long-term goals for their outlets.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of all food and beverage training classes.
- Assist managers in maintaining essential inventories of all necessary equipment.
- Assist managers by covering the outlet in their absence as needed.
- Assist restaurant staff with their job functions to ensure optimum service to guests. Anticipate heavy business times and organize procedures to handle extended waiting lines.
- Assist servers with expediting problem payments. Ensure all cashiering procedures are processed in compliance with accounting standards.
- Supervise floor during service, with frequent guest contact.
- Constantly monitor staff performance and provide feedback in all phases of service and job functions, ensuring that all procedures are carried out to departmental standards; rectify any deficiencies with respective personnel.
- Responsible for corrective action regarding unsatisfactory performance and counselling employees according to hotel standards.
- Oversee progressive disciplinary action and performance review process.
- Review regularly the guest experience quality in all outlets, with recommendations for improving performance and product.
- Monitor not only the training but also the effectiveness of the outlet managers during training.
- Monitor guest complaints closely, with follow-up on the employee and management level.
Budgeting, forecasting, and productivity
- Involved in the financial performance of the hotel with responsibilities to include managing and forecasting the annual budget, maintain labor costs to forecast/budget, manage spending accounts and review monthly Profit & Loss Report.
- Develop protocol for inventory, receiving and product utilization (product cost) to improve productivity for food and beverage operations.
- Monitor sales figures and check average for all outlets; assist managers in achieving sales goals.
- Monitor pricing of beverage items to achieve forecasted and cost percentage.
- Implement effective cost controls for food and beverage, reducing waste and breakage, in all outlets, and monitoring labor.
- Assist in reviewing all staff schedules prior to posting. Monitor labor costs for all outlets, approving all overtime.
- Review sales for previous day; resolve discrepancies with the Finance department. Track revenue against budget.
- Complete payroll for submission to Accounting and oversee subordinate manager in their roles.
- Monitor timekeeping and payroll closely; edit for staff as necessary.
- Issue manual checks when the system is down and ensure accountability of such.
- Display recognition for report guests, VIP guests participate in weekly and monthly forecasting.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbent will possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves, other employees or guests.
A review of this description has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and requirements are essential job functions.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employee will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor.
What are we looking for?
Benchmark Hospitality is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Actual compensation packages are based on a wide array of factors unique to each candidate, including but not limited to skill set, years & depth of experience, certifications and specific office location. This may differ in other locations due to cost of labor considerations.