Luxury Cruise Line - Head Baker - Worldwide
Full job details
PURPOSE OF POSITION
The production, preparation and baking of all Bakery Goods on the Vessel. Must ensure that production levels and the quality are in line with company expectations and standards. Required to follow provided recipes and set procedures at all times, and preparation of Showpieces for themed Buffets and special occasions as required.
- Responsible for leading and supporting a multi cultural team of Galley personnel, ensuring the highest level of crew satisfaction and productivity.
- Must possess advanced bakery skills.
- Must be experienced and knowledgeable in European/French baking techniques.
- Work efficiently and be cost conscientious.
- Must be able to master bread decorations for the various buffet themes/special occasions as required by the Executive Chef.
- Must be able to lead a team of Asst Bakers, delegate, train and guide in order to be productive.
- Responsible for all Bread Productions at Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner in all Outlets in terms of quality, freshness and in accordance to recipes provided by the Corporate Office.
- Evaluate production levels to remain within budget targets.
- Ensure that his/her section is productive and can operate with minimum supervision.
- Assist the Pastry Chef in monitoring the bakery personnel’s working hours, maintaining working hour’s policy documentation for payroll purposes, correcting where applicable.
- Must be knowledgeable of established quality standards and company policies.
- In conjunction with the Pastry Chef, must provide the necessary guidance/training and relay pertinent information to all Bakery Staff in order to be fully productive, following up on progress as required.
- Responsible for maintaining quality and consistency in taste, presentation and appearance according to recipes and pictures; with discrepancies being rectified immediately.
- Ensure economical work practices, controlling the food production to minimize/avoid wastage.
- Prepare the daily electronic requisitions according to the guest count/forecast figures (in absence of the Executive Pastry Chef)
- Must have a complete knowledge and full understanding of USPH Rules and Regulations, ensuring that working/cleaning practices are applied throughout the operation.
- Responsible to ensure immaculate cleanliness in the Bakery Department and adjacent areas, by applying safe work practices, procedures according to USPH Regulations and prevent any equipment damages/loss.
- Responsible for controlling and maintaining all Bakery equipment distributed to their staff, ensuring that it’s clean, sanitized and returned in an acceptable and proper condition after each use.
- Responsible for all Bakery Equipment in terms of cleaning, handling and storage. Any damages and/or malfunctions must be justified, recorded and reported.
- Responsible to ensure that all Bakery Staff appear in proper, appropriate uniforms, with special attention to those working in public areas. Company personal appearance and hygiene policies to be followed at all times.
- Responsible to ensure that the Bakery and adjacent areas are ready for any announced and/or unannounced USPH inspection, done either by the Ship’s Management or local authorities (Public Health Inspectors).
- Assist and supervise the setup of all Buffet Outlets.
- Occasionally tour all outlets during service hours (Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner)
- Comply with requests for additional bakery goods for special functions, parties, special orders, etc. and/or as required by the Executive Chef.
- Assists the Executive Pastry Chef to identify catering equipment that needs to be ordered (with justification, breakage report, damages, etc.) to ensure a productive operation.
- Countercheck daily deliveries from the storeroom for accuracy, and report any discrepancies to his/her immediate supervisor.
- Must be familiar with the galley layout in terms of safety and security, must have a full understanding of ship rules/regulations (SMS) and participate in all required Safety
- Ensure that the HACCP program is applied accordingly.
- Must have a thorough understanding of working hours procedures/policies; be familiar with contracts and work schedule hours and supporting documentation.
- Personality and Appearance: Must have a pleasant and courteous personality. Must be well groomed, and presentable.
- Health: Must be physically fit and in good health and be able to lift up to 50 lbs (30 Kilos) on a daily basis. Must be able to work a minimum of eleven hours per day, seven days a week.
- Professional Experience and Education: Must have a thorough understanding of European bakery practices, excellent hands-on techniques and ability to maintain high standards.
- Communication and Language Skills: Must be able to read and speak English clearly in order to interpret documents such as recipes and manuals. Other languages are considered a plus.
- Work Ethic: Must be a serious professional, leader and motivator. Adherence to Company
- Rules and Regulations is a must for success in the job.