Italian Sous Chef
Marriott International is the world’s leading global hospitality company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. With 5,700 properties, you’ll find us in your neighborhood and in more than 110 countries across the globe. Learn about our 30 hotel brands at www.marriott.com/marriott-brands.mi. Find Your World.™
Algiers only beachfront hotel, the Sheraton Club des Pins is the first five-star resort in the country with 419 rooms, offering numerous top class facilities for work and leisure, several lively and enjoyable restaurants and modern and efficient services.
Train, supervise and work with all cook and culinary staff in order to prepare, cook and present food according to hotel standard recipes in order to create quality food products.
To be fully accountable for the running of his Restaurant from Quality and Food cost point of View to staff training, maintaining equipment etc.
• Assign, in detail, specific duties to all employees for efficient operation of the kitchen. Visually inspect, select and use only the freshest fruits, vegetables, meats, fish, fowl and other food products of the highest standard in the preparation of all menu items.
• Read and employ math skills for following recipes. Process requisitions for supplies. Select, train and supervise kitchen staff in the proper preparation of menu items.
• Schedule culinary staff so that proper coverage is maintained while keeping payroll costs in line.
• Ensure proper receiving, storage (including temperature setting) and rotation of food products so as to comply with health department regulations.
• Adhere to control procedures for cost and quality.
• To keep himself updated to the new Food Trent of his restaurant style.
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the manager based upon the particular requirements of the hotel:
• Supervise daily cleaning of walk-in and reach-in boxes for safety reasons.
• Maintain vacation schedule for proper staffing.
• Report any equipment in need of repair to chef and engineering for service.
• Perform other duties as necessary and assigned, such as V.I.P. parties and staff meetings.
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities:
• Must be able to speak, read, write and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace.
• Must be able to read and write to facilitate the communication process.
• Requires good communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Must possess basic computational ability.
• Must possess basic computer skills.
• Thorough working knowledge of hot and cold food preparation.
• Good working knowledge of accepted sanitation standards and applicable health codes.
• Basic mathematical skills necessary to understand recipes, measurements, requisition amounts and portion sizes.
• Most work tasks are performed indoors. Temperature generally is moderate and controlled by hotel environmental systems; however, must be able to work in extreme temperatures like freezers (-23°C) and kitchens (+43°C), possibly for one hour or more.
• Must be able to sit at a desk for up to 5 hours per day. Walking and standing are required the rest of the working day. Length of time of these tasks may vary from day to day and task to task.
• Ability to physically handle knives, pots, mirrors, or other display items as well as grasp, lift and carry same from shelves and otherwise transport up to 20 kg to every area of the kitchen. Ability to perform cutting skills on work surfaces, topped with cutting boards, 90cm to 120cm in height (banquet kitchen, prep kitchen, bake shop, etc.). Proper usage and handling of various kitchen machinery to include slicers, buffalo chopper, grinders, mixers, and other kitchen related equipment.
• Ability to physically self-demonstrate culinary techniques, i.e., cutting, cooking principles, plate presentation, safety and sanitation practices.
• Ability to create, build, handle, and dismantle displays up to 2.4m high, including ice carvings.
• The worker is subject to noise. There is sufficient noise to cause the worker to shout in order to be heard above the ambient noise level.
• Must be able to exert well-paced ability in limited space and to reach other departments of the hotel on a timely basis.
• Must be able to lift up to 11kg on a regular and continuing basis.
• Must be able to push and pull carts and equipment weighing up to 90kg occasionally.
• Must be able to bend, stoop, squat and stretch to fulfill cleaning tasks occasionally.
• Requires grasping, writing, standing, sitting, walking, repetitive motions, bending, climbing, listening and hearing ability and visual acuity.
• Talking and hearing occur continuously in the process of communicating with guests, supervisors and subordinates.
• Vision occurs continuously with the most common visual functions being those of near and color vision and depth perception.
• Requires manual dexterity to use and operate all necessary equipment.
• Must have finger dexterity to be able to operate office equipment such as computers, printers, 10-key adding machine, electric typewriter, multi-line touch tone phone, filing cabinets, FAX machines, photocopiers, dolly and other office equipment as needed.
Minimum two years Sous Chef experience required. Prior supervisory experience required. Previous hospitality experience preferred.
Licenses or Certificates
Ability to obtain and/or maintain any government required licenses, certificates or permits.
All employees must maintain a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance per Starwood standards.
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time.