Junior Sous Chef - Asian Pop Up Restaurant - Sydney, Australia
Full job details
The Star Entertainment Group owns and operates The Star in Sydney, Treasury Casino & Hotel in Brisbane and Jupiters Gold Coast on the Gold Coast. The Star Entertainment Group also manages the Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition Centre. At the core of The Star Entertainment Group's premium offering at each property is the quintessential spirit of each destination with broad appeal for both local and international visitors.
The Star culinary team have embraced the trend of Pop Up restaurants. Gingergirl follows three hugely successful pop-ups at The Star over the last year, including Luke Nguyen’s Street Food, Sokyo Ramen by Chase Kojima, and Singapore Hawker Style.
With the Pop Up menu and theme changing every three months, this is an opportunity to show case your Asian culinary skills. Currently the Pop Up Restaurant hosts Gingergirl - a creative and tasty pop-up by one of The Star’s signature chefs, Teage Ezard of BLACK Bar & Grill and the team behind his cult Melbourne restaurant, Gingerboy. Open for lunch and dinner seven days a week, Gingergirl celebrates Ezard’s love of contemporary Asian cuisine and draws inspiration from Gingerboy’s vibrant experimental menu.
Reporting to the Sous Chef you will be working in our state-of-the-art kitchen to produce an exceptional standard of high quality, a la carte Asian dishes. This is a hands on role in terms of food preparation as well as leading and organising the team. Wok skills are preferred. The Pop Up is a fast paced, high pressure kitchen.
Ideal candidates will have:
- Strong experience at a Junior Sous Chef / Chef de Partie level within an all-day dining or buffet environment
- Experience in a high turnover Asian kitchen with exemplary standards of culinary production
- Strong understanding of produce, Asian culinary techniques and kitchen equipment
- Confident leadership and training skills
- Be detail orientated, highly organised and able to handle pressure
- Hold relevant tertiary qualifications, such as Certificate III in Commercial Cookery
- Ability to work varied shifts, including weekends and holidays
What benefits are there to work for the Star Sydney?
- A career with some of the best chefs in Australia
- Learn new techniques and use modern equipment
- Training opportunities
- Competitive salary
- Uniforms and laundering provided
- Free meals
- Free light rail to The Star from Central station
- Discounted rooms in The Star Entertainment Group across Australia
- Discounts on parking, lyric theatre tickets, restaurants, JB-Hifi and Virgin Airlines
Sponsorship is available for eligible international candidates. An IELTS test is required for candidates with Passports from non-English speaking countries with a minimum score of 5 in each category.
If you are passionate about food and the taking the next step in your career please apply now.