In control of the kitchen operations and responsible for delivering Villa Mamas high quality food offering to Villa Mamas, Mama Gourmet, 1856 food truck and outside catering operations. To ensure the efficient operation of food production by constantly analyzing cost and quality within set budget and agreed standards while maintaining excellence in all food experiences for all guests.Developing and mentoring the Sous Chefs and training the kitchen team on a day to day, shift by shift basis.
Management and general kitchen organization
- Planning and Organizing to company budgets and forecasts
- To Participate in the preparation and implementation of the strategic business plan with direct manager
- Assure HACCP is adhered to.
- Implement and maintain all standards in a manner best to train personnel in accordance to SOP’s
- Update and promote the use of SOP’s
- Ensure all menu items are available all the times according to menu specifications
- Produce and maintain the highest food quality and controls for all food products served in all areas.
- Ensure that menus, recipes, methods, photographs and specifications are followed exactly at all times and check this by daily tastings of all sections of the kitchen am/pm.
- Ensure menu tastings are done with the chefs before all shifts, breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Deliver a daily food quality report
- Record hours worked by the team to cross check at end of month.
- Be present during service times; check constantly on presentation and taste.
- Check cleanliness and breakage in the dishwashing area on every shift. Report breakages back to the direct manager on a weekly basis.
- Enforce company cleaning procedures on a daily basis and check on food handling daily
- Ensures correct storage procedures are adhered to.
- Ensure food ordering procedure is followed.
- Ensure all dishes and costed accurately
- Ensure sanitation and kitchen hygiene procedures are adhered to at all times
- Manage the established working schedule for the team, based on (48) hours per week, and one rest day in every 7 days
- Control overtime according to company guidelines by displaying time management skills and working within the agreed budgets
- Check all requisitions in all areas of responsibility
- Check correct storing & maintenance of all equipment , training the team to exercise responsibility and ownership
- Look for solutions to improve on guest complaints/ concerns by discussing on a daily basis new ideas, improvements and positive changes with direct manager
- To display regular and reliable attendance.
- To train the kitchen staff daily refreshing dishes and standards.
- Schedule monthly research & development sessions and create new items on the menu to be approved by the director.
- To develop and motivate the kitchen team with daily briefings and motivational training.
- Ensure full equipment inventory is carried out on a monthly basis to include crockery, cutlery and glassware
- To work within monthly food cost budget, adjust food requisitions and control waste
- Interpret financial reports and provide expertise on (projected) revenue and expenses
- Schedule labour as required by anticipated levels of business activity while ensuring that all sections are staffed sufficiently & budgeted labour costs are met.
- Use financial information provided for recognising trends, measuring productivity and monitoring progress
- Create an effective weekly reporting system for key happenings in the department
- Hold daily, early morning meetings with kitchen staff.
- Attend regular management meetings and convey all relevant information
- Actively participate in the weekly management meetings with positive contribution and information
- Effectively use technology to communicate – email, messaging, phones, radios etc.
Staffing & Human Resources
- Work closely with the Human Resources Department to recruit, select and train top talent according to organization chart and following company recruitment SOP’s
- Implement on going skills training to ensure standards are upheld
- Effectively administer and monitor staff scheduling procedures
- Demonstrate an exceptional level of professionalism for the staff to emulate acting as a role model at all times.
- Create a motivating environment of sincerity, warmth and fun for staff and guests
- Be knowledgeable regarding company policies regarding personnel and administer prompt, fair and consistent corrective action for any violation of company policies, rules and procedures
- Minimum 4 years’ experience as sous chef
- High volume upscale or fine dining restaurant experience a must with knowledge of Arabic cuisine a benefit
- The ability to manage in a diverse and fast paced environment and focus on customer satisfaction
- Experienced in training staff in large quantity food preparation and excellent knowledge of quality food operations
- Excellent interpersonal skills - English & Arabic a bonus
- Knowledge of F&B control systems required
- Proficient in microsoft Office (word, excel, powerpoint)
Other Duties as Assigned
- While the above mentioned is a detailed specification of the outputs required for the role of Head Chef, it is not intended to be exhaustive. Other requirements may be assigned to this role as change in the business dictates.