Sous Chef - Western Specialty
Accountable for overall success of the daily kitchen operations. Exhibits culinary talents by personally performing tasks while leading the colleague and managing all food related functions. Works to continually improve guest and colleague satisfaction while maintaining the operating budget. Supervises all kitchen areas to ensure a consistent, high quality product is produced. Responsible for guiding and developing colleague including direct reports. Must ensure sanitation and food standards are achieved.
- Manages kitchen shift operations and ensures compliance with all Food & Beverage policies, standards and procedures.
- Estimates daily production needs on a weekly basis and communicates production needs to kitchen personnel daily.
- Assists Executive Sous Chef and Chef de Cuisine with all kitchen operations and preparation.
- Prepares and cooks foods of all types, either on a regular basis or for special guests or functions.
- Develops, designs, or creates new applications, ideas, relationships, systems, or products, including artistic contributions.
- Assists in determining how food should be presented and creates decorative food displays.
- Maintains purchasing, receiving and food storage standards.
- Ensures compliance with food handling and sanitation standards.
- Performs all duties of kitchen managers and colleagues as necessary.
- Recognizes superior quality products, presentations and flavor.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Follows proper handling and right temperature of all food products.
- Operates and maintains all department equipment and reports malfunctions.
- Checks the quality of raw and cooked food products to ensure that standards are met.
- Supervises and coordinates activities of cooks and workers engaged in food preparation.
- Leads shifts while personally preparing food items and executing requests based on required specifications.
- Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
- Encourages and builds mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
Skills, Experience & Educational Requirements
- An experienced chef graduated from a well-known culinary institution is highly desirable
- Minimum of 5-8 years of experience in pastry cooking, preferably in a 5-star class environment
- Solid managerial experience and knowledge in kitchen operation. This includes the knowledge required for management of people, complex problems, food and beverage management and food sanitation.
- Have excellent English communication skills both in written and spoken
- Computer literate
- Possess professional disposition with excellent communication and interpersonal skills