Director of Food & Beverage
Full job details
Hoteliers since 1897, Kempinski has traveled the world in search of the most fascinating destinations without ever forgetting the finest traditions of its European heritage.
A luxurious alpine retreat in the heart of the desert, Kempinski Hotel Mall of the Emirates is a landmark Dubai hotel and one of Kempinski’s most unique city properties. It combines exciting shopping, entertainment and dining options with lavish accommodation, including 15 spacious but cozy ski chalets overlooking Ski Dubai.
Are you passionate, strategic, driven and experienced in the world of Food & Beverage? An exciting opportunity has arisen for a talented Director of Food & Beverage to join our team at Kempinski Hotel Mall of the Emirates.
To contribute to and to support Kempinski’s vision of becoming the undisputed leader in the hospitality industry, making our Food & Beverage offer a key differentiating factor for the Kempinski brand. To drive the top line of the Food & Beverage Department in Kempinski Hotel Mall of the Emirates while ensuring sustainable and profitable operations.
The job of Director of Food & Beverage is executed satisfactorily when:
- All rules & regulations are strictly established and adhered to within the hotel including hotel’s policy on fire and safety as well as hygiene regulations including HACCP.
- The sales are driven to the department’s full potential and budgets and forecasts are adhered to.
- All costs are in line with sales without compromising quality, i.e. minimum 85% LQA score.
- The department is driven in an entrepreneurial manner, looking for opportunities to generate more business at all times.
- Innovation and new ideas are fostered, implemented and shared with other hotels via corporate office.
- Internal talents are grown to ensure a smooth transition in case of promotions and transfers.
- At least one member of the team has a restaurateur background and experience outside of the 5* hotel industry.
- Provide a professional and courteous service at all times and ensure that all employees follow the example.
- Be knowledgeable of all services and products offered by the hotel.
- Have a thorough knowledge and understanding of all food & beverage products and services.
- Prepare/consolidate the yearly budget for the department in cooperation with the Finance Department.
- Prepare the monthly income statement for each outlet and the department as a whole, hold the monthly performance meeting with the Outlet Management.
- Attend and actively contribute to all relevant staff meetings and hotel trainings.
- Conduct daily operations briefings with the Executive Chef.
- Conduct daily or weekly Food & Beverage meetings.
- Take the neccesary disciplinary actions, when needed, in accordance with local legislations.
- Ensure all departmental operations manuals are prepared and updated annually.
- Source the best available products, constantly aim to improve quality, communicate about the products both internally and externally.
- Establish good partnerships with suppliers and involve them in activities that will strengthen working relationships, e.g. invite them to the hotel.
- Monitor and constantly improve quality and guest satisfaction with the given tools (Leading Quality Assurance, Customer Satisfaction Survey).
- Handle guest complaints in prompt and courteous manner.
- Oversee every service at least once a week (breakfast, lunch, dinner, lobby, banqueting, room service, bar).
- Prepare a yearly marketing plan for the department in cooperation with the Sales & Marketing Department including a competitor analysis and a revision of global trends.
- Conduct the competitor analysis through on-site inspections to assess the local food & beverage offering including both hotel outlets and stand-alone restaurants.
- Analyse the global trends by reviewing print and web based media and attend local/regional trade shows and gastranomic events.
- Maintain an active relationship with the hotel’s PR Manager in regards to hotel’s Food & Beverage outlets and events.
- Ensure that all Outlet Managers are fully aware of market needs and trends and that their product and service meet the demands.
- Coordinate with the Chef to ensure that employees are educated and aware of seasonal and new products on the market.
- Develop departmental trainers, assign training responsibilities and meet with the trainers on a monthly basis.
- Ensure that each Outlet Manager plans and implements effective outlet specific training programs.
- Assume Executive duties as assigned by the General Manager in accordance with the hotel’s duty manager roster.
- Respond to any changes within the Food & Beverage department as dictated by the hotel management.
- Act as the main point of contact to the Corporate Food & Beverage Team.
- Implement corporate policies, procedures, guidelines, traditions and initiatives.
- Ensure that all outlet concepts are followed and that alterations or reviews of concepts are brought to the attention of the Corporate Food & Beverage Team
- Attend all corporate conference calls and the relevant regional and global Food & Beverage events.
- Provide support for the Corporate Food & Beverage Team as requested in accordance with the hotel-corporate agreement.
Additional responsibilities and tasks can be added at any time according to the needs of the business and of the hotel.
To fill this position the candidate must identify with the Kempinski core values, in addition they should be especially:
- Passionate for Food & Beverage
- People Oriented
- Passion for European luxury
- Business acumen
- Sense of responsibility
- Team player
- Analytical thinker
- Flexible and reliable
- Tolerant and open minded
- Work well under pressure