Director of Rooms Operations
Full job details
Marriott Hotels, Marriott International’s flagship brand with more than 500 global locations, is advancing the art of hosting so that our guests can travel brilliantly. As a host with Marriott Hotels, you will help keep this promise by delivering premium choices, sophisticated style, and well-crafted details. With your skills and imagination, together we will innovate and reinvent the future of travel.
JW Marriott is part of Marriott International's luxury portfolio and consists of more than 70 beautiful properties in gateway cities and distinctive resort locations around the world. Our associates deliver sophisticated and warmly authentic service in a comfortable and luxurious atmosphere that cultivates fulfilling experiences for both our associates and our guests.
Functions as the strategic business leader of the property's Rooms Operations. Areas of responsibility include Front Office, , Recreation/Health Club and Housekeeping. Position works with direct reports (department heads) to develop and implement departmental strategies and ensuring implementation of the brand service strategy and brand initiatives. The position ensuring Rooms Operations meet the brand’s standards, targets customer needs, ensuring associate satisfaction, focuses on growing revenues and maximizes the financial performance of the department.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
• Demonstrates and communicates key drivers of guest satisfaction for the brand’s target customer.
• Analyzes service issues and identifies trends.
• Makes and executes the necessary decisions to keep property moving forward toward achievement of goals.
• Works with Rooms management team to develop an operational strategy that is aligned with the brand’s business strategy and leads its execution.
Managing Revenue Goals
• Monitors Rooms operations sales performance against budget.
• Reviews reports and financial statements to determine Rooms operations performance against budget.
• Coaches and supports operations team to effectively manage occupancy & rate, wages and controllable expenses.
• Reviews the Wage Progress Report and compares budgeted wages to actual wages, coaching direct reports to address problem areas and holding team accountable for results.
Leading Operations and Department Teams
• Champions the brand’s service vision for product and service delivery and ensures alignment amongst the Rooms leadership teams.
• Develops systems to enable associates to understand guest satisfaction results.
• Communicates a clear and consistent message regarding departmental goals to produce desired results.
Managing the Guest Experience
• Reviews guest feedback with leadership team and ensures appropriate corrective action is taken.
• Responds to and handles guest problems and complaints.
• Stays visible and interfaces with customers on a regular basis to obtain feedback on quality of product, service levels and overall satisfaction.
• Creates an atmosphere in all Rooms and Food and Beverage areas that meets or exceeds guest expectations.
Managing and Conducting Human Resources Activities
• Facilitates the development of creative solutions to overcome obstacles and ensures implementation to continually improve guest satisfaction results.
• Ensures associates are treated fairly and equitably.
• Ensures that regular, ongoing communication is happening in Rooms (e.g., pre-shift briefings, staff meetings).
• Fosters associate commitment to providing excellent service, participates in daily stand-up meetings and models desired service behaviors in all interactions with guests and associates.
• Incorporates guest satisfaction as a component of staff/operations meetings with an emphasis on generating innovative ways to continually improve results.
• Sets goals and expectations for direct reports using the performance review process and holds staff accountable for successful performance.
• Solicits associate feedback, utilizes an “open door policy” and reviews associate satisfaction results to identify and address associate problems or concerns.
• Ensures property policies are administered fairly and consistently, disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to Standard and Local Operating Procedures (SOPs and LSOPs) and supports the Peer Review Process.
• Conducts annual performance appraisal with direct reports according to Standard Operating Procedures.
• Champions change, ensures brand and regional business initiatives are implemented and communicates follow-up actions to team as necessary.
Education and Experience
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 4 years experience in the guest services, front desk, housekeeping, sales and marketing, management operations, or related professional area.
• 4-year bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 2 years experience in the guest services, front desk, housekeeping, sales and marketing, management operations, or related professional area.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.