Assistant Director of Front Office/ Guest Services
Full job details
Hotels Group, we own, operate and franchise more than 5000 hotels, offering more than half a million guest rooms in nearly 100 countries. By bringing
your expertise and passion to any one of our brands, you will help us achieve our
vision : to be the most preferred, admired and successful hotel company the
Under the general direction of the
Director of Guest Services/ Front Office, and within the limits of established
InterContinental Hotels Group policies and procedures, and local hotel policies
and procedures, assists in maintaining all aspects of the Front of house, specifically
in forward planning of the department which includes Guest Services Assistant
managers, Night Team, Guest Relations, Instant Service Centre, Business Centre,
Front Desk and Club InterContinental Lounge.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in the preparation, effectively manage and achieve the department’s budget, in accordance with hotel budget, liaising with Director of GS and Finance department, driving profitability while maintaining Guest optimal experience.
- Effectively monitor and analyze variations from the budget.
- Analyze, report and approve discounts and rebates done by cashiers
- Develop systems that measure the cost effectiveness of the department, by introducing tracking procedures that enable effective control of the running costs of the department
- Master credit policies and procedures and liaise closely with Finance department to ensure that credit procedures are properly carried out.
- Manage department cash float and financial transactions within hotel policies and procedures
- Promote Inter-hotel sales, in house facilities and IHG Rewards and Ambassador Programs.
- Main key driver, responsible to drive the Front Office team in achieving the monthly Up-Selling, ICA and IHG Rewards Targets.
- Recycle wherever possible and enforce cost saving
measures where appropriate.
- Work within the company’s Human Resource Management System to ensure the departmental performance of staff is productive. Duties include assisting the Director of Guest Services to:
- Plan for future staffing needs.
- Recruit in line with company guidelines
- Actively work on succession planning for key positions, develop staff and identify high potentials and talents within the department.
- Prepare detailed induction program for new staff.
- Manage departmental roster, ensuring staffing levels are satisfactory and in accordance with hotel operations
- Manage day-to-day staffing requirements across the departments, plan and assign work, and work with the team to establish performance and development goals.
- Educate and train team members in compliance with local laws and safety regulations.
- Ensure colleagues are properly trained on systems, security and cash handling procedures, and service and quality standards.
- Mentor, coach, counsel and discipline staff, provide regular constructive feedback to help manage conflict and improve team member performance.
- Maintain a complete, comprehensive, up to date, and guest focused set of departmental standards and procedures and oversee their implementation and follow up.
- Ensure department has necessary, productive tools and equipment to carry out job duties.
- Ensure timely training needs of the departmental staff are carried out and training programs are designed and implemented in accordance to operational needs and challenges.
- Maintain training records for all direct reports and ensure they do the same for their staff.
- Conduct periodic probation and formal performance appraisal in line with company guidelines and deadlines.
- Approve leave requests taking into consideration business patterns, peaks and troughs in the operation.
- Develop, implement and follow up tailored action plans and procedures ensuring staff satisfaction and motivation
- Demonstrate service attributes in accordance with industry standards, guest expectations and company brand standards including:
- Being attentive to guests;
- Accurately and promptly fulfilling guests requests;
- Anticipate guests needs;
- Maintain a high level of general and local knowledge which affects the guest experience;
- Demonstrating a ‘service’, genuine and caring attitude;
- Taking appropriate, prompt and responsible actions to resolve guest complaints.
- Ensure guests are greeted upon arrival and make time to interact effectively with them. Respond appropriately to guest complaints, solicit feedback and build relationships to drive continuous improvement in guest satisfaction. Communicate any outstanding guest requests or issues to other necessary departments and ensure follow up.
- Deal with, log and follow up all guest queries and complaints, ensure that they are dealt with accordingly and gain optimum guest satisfaction.
- Be prepared and equipped to meet the diverse cultural needs of guests from around the world.
- Effectively manage overbooking situations, and carry-out book-outs as necessary following the guidelines as directed by Dir of GS in liaison with Revenue and Sales department.
- Review and update existing standards to ensure competitiveness.
- Monitor departmental HeartBeat results, mystery audits and quality evaluations.
- Compose and Implement comprehensive action plans to improve Guest satisfaction results ensuring maximum team involvement
- Perform tasks as directed by the Dir of GS in pursuit of the achievement of business goals.
- Attend regular IHG Rewards and VIP guest cocktail parties and social engagements in an effort to further enhance guests’ experience.
- Gain knowledge of Company Health and Safety Policies and ensure your areas promote and comply with them.
- Take responsibility to rectify hazardous situations, report major areas of concern to your manager, General Manager or designate.
- Familiarize yourself with property safety, first aid and fire and emergency procedures and actively enforce these in your area of responsibility.
- Ensure security incidents in your operational area are reviewed and corrective measures implemented to prevent recurring incidents.
- In conjunction with the Emergency Response Team prepare emergency procedures upon advice from relevant authority that cover such emergencies as Fire, Power Outrage, Bomb Threat, Cyclone Warnings, etc.
- Demonstrate understanding and awareness of all company policies and procedures relating to Health, Security, Hygiene and Fire Life Safety and ensure your direct reports do the same.
- Ensure all security incidents, accidents and near misses are logged investigated and rectified to prevent future catastrophes.
- Ensure that the handover procedures are followed in the transferring of all relevant information on a daily basis.
Report to Director of Guest
Services/ Front Office
Hotel and Rooms Master
Credit Follow up
Correct billing of
guest upon check out and appropriate payment method
Front Office cash floats
Bachelor’s degree / higher education qualification / equivalent in Hotel
Management/Business Administration, plus 3 years of Front Office/Guest Service
experience including management experience. Must speak fluent English; other
- Communication skills; demonstrate ability to interact with guests, employees and third parties that reflects highly on the hotel, the brand and the Company.
- Reading and writing abilities are utilized often when completing paperwork and management reports, interpreting results, giving and receiving instructions, and training.
- Mathematical skills, including basic math, budgeting, profit/loss concepts, percentages, and variances are utilized frequently.
- Problem solving, reasoning, motivating, organizational and training abilities are used often.
- Ability to travel to attend workshops, specialized training and/or certifications, etc.
- May be required to work nights, weekends, and/or holidays.