Summary of Responsibilities:
Responsibilities and essential job functions included but are not limited to the following:
- Assist the Executive Chef in supervising and assisting kitchen workers and stewards in their duties of providing and maintaining clean and sanitary work areas in all culinary areas, and ensure that both front and back of the house employees have the necessary items and utensils needed to operate the kitchens and dining areas.
- Manages activities of evening stewards, pot washers, and night stewards to ensure proper utensil sanitation and storage.
- Comply and assure compliance with all safety standards by following all safety rules and procedures.
- Check restaurant and kitchen areas, loading dock, and receiving area for cleanliness.
- Supervise and maintain the sanitation of kitchen, store rooms, hallways, dock, and equipment.
- Maintain a high standard of cleanliness and orderliness in all kitchens, back dock, dumpster and utility work areas.
- Keep management informed of shortage of equipment and supplies.
- Operate the dishwashing equipment to ensure that all china, glass, and silver are cleaned thoroughly and sanitation of such is maintained.
- Return all clean china, glass, and silver to its proper storage location using care to minimize breakage.
- Knowledge of proper safe handling techniques for all chemicals used.
- Report any faulty equipment to management immediately.
- Know the location and operation of all fire extinguishing equipment.
- Practice safe work habits at all times to avoid possible injury to self or other employees.
- Follow the proper procedures in the breakdown, cleaning and reassembling of all kitchen equipment, as needed.
- Follow all sanitation standards.
- Prepare route sheets for the day.
- Ensure the completion and regular review of risk assessments for all work equipment and operations and that all accidents are documented, investigated and recommended improvements implemented.
- Co-ordinate the development of health & safety policies, systems of work and procedures.
Education / Professional experience
- Degree in Hotel Management or equivalent certificate
- Minimum 2 years experience as Chief Steward / Supervisor in hotel industry
Skills / Qualities
- A working knowledge of equipment and associated chemicals
- Excellent communication, leadership and teaching skills
• Must have the skill level to set individual goals for employees
• Ability to recognize when machines are not using proper ratios of chemical, detergents or additives, thus contacting the appropriate person to correct the settings.
• Must be able to compute chemical usage and cost by outlet
• Must be able to compute labor costs
• Must be proficient in scheduling of employees that meet business need
- Complete understanding of all department operations