Responsible for hotel laundry daily operations and services. Position directs and works with employees to wash, dry and iron linen for both guest rooms and Food and Beverage/Culinary Department within existing time constraints. Maintains a safe and clean work environment. Position strives to ensure guest and employee satisfaction while maximizing the department financial performance.
Education and Experience
• High school diploma or GED; 2 years experience in the laundry, housekeeping, or related professional area.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Managing Department Operations and Budgets
• Managing day-to-day operations, ensuring the quality, standards and meeting the expectations of the customers on a daily basis.
• Supervising and managing employees. Managing all day-to-day operations. Understanding employee positions well enough to perform duties in employees' absence.
• Communicating the importance of safety procedures, detailing procedure codes, ensuring employee understanding of safety codes, monitoring processes and procedures related to safety.
• Comprehends budgets, operating statements and payroll progress reports as needed to assist in the financial management of department.
• Ensures consistent workflow to minimize peaks and valleys in production.
• Brings issues to the attention of the department manager and Human Resources as necessary.
• Using relevant information and individual judgment to determine whether events or processes comply with laws, regulations, or standards.
• Supervises daily Laundry shift operations and ensures compliance with all policies, standards and procedures.
• Ordering and managing necessary supplies. Ensuring workers have supplies, equipment, tools, and uniforms necessary to do their jobs.
• Orders cleaning supplies and uniforms within budget.
• Understands the impact of department’s operations on the overall hotel financial goals and objectives and manages to achieve or exceed budgeted goals.
• Participates in the management of department’s controllable expenses to achieve or exceed budgeted goals.
• Works effectively with the Engineering department on Laundry equipment maintenance needs.
• Participates in departmental meetings and continually communicates a clear and consistent message regarding the departmental goals to produce desired results.
• Operates all department equipment as necessary and reports malfunctions.
• Develops, maintains and uses effective back-up plans for breakdowns.
• Evaluates and implements new techniques, supplies and equipment.
Leading Discipline Teams
• Ensuring and maintaining the productivity level of employees.
• Utilizing interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
• Encouraging and building mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
• Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with employees and ensures employees do the same within the team.
Providing and Ensuring Exceptional Customer Service
• Providing services that are above and beyond for customer satisfaction and retention.
• Improving service by communicating and assisting individuals to understand guest needs, providing guidance, feedback, and individual coaching when needed.
• Sets a positive example for guest relations.
• Empowers employees to provide excellent customer service.
Managing and Conducting Human Resources Activities
• Ensuring employee success and event success recognitions are taking place in all shifts.
• Identifying the developmental needs of others and coaching, mentoring, or otherwise helping others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Recruiting, interviewing, selecting, hiring, and promoting employees in the organization.
• Supervises staffing levels to ensure that operational needs and financial objectives are met.
• Effectively schedules employees to business demands and tracks employee time and attendance.
• Solicits employee feedback, utilizes an “open door” policy and reviews employee satisfaction results to identify and address employee problems or concerns.
• Manages employee progressive discipline procedures.
• Manages the employee performance appraisal process.
• Ensures hotel policies are administered fairly and consistently, disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to Standard and Local Operating Procedures (SOPs and LSOPs) and support the Peer Review Process.
• Celebrates successes and publicly recognizes the contributions of team members; ensures employee recognition is taking place on all shifts.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.