Junior Executive Sous Chef - Jumeirah Messilah Beach Hotel & Spa, Kuwait
Full job details
At Jumeirah, we are committed to encouraging and developing our colleagues in world class environments. We value diversity and equal opportunity, employing over 10,000 colleagues from over 90 different countries including locations in Asia Pacific, CIS, Central Asia, Western and Eastern Europe, South America, Africa, USA and the Middle East.
Jumeirah Messilah Beach Hotel & Spa is a luxurious beachfront that features 317 rooms and suites, 80 serviced apartments and 12 chalets. Guests of the hotel will also have access to 8 distinguished restaurants and lounges, a Talise spa, 200 meter private beach, swimming pool and children's play area, in addition to extensive conference and banqueting facilities.About the Role
An exciting role has arisen within the Culinary team at Jumeirah Messilah Beach Hotel & Spa, Kuwait for a highly talented Junior Executive Sous Chef.
- To ensure a smooth rundown of our complete daily operation, focusing (but not limited to) on banquet & events, executive lounge, crew lounge, centralized production
- To have a complete understanding of, and adhere to the company’s policy relating to “What we expect “policies in our Navigator Handbook.
- To assist colleagues, in supporting culinary teams, if required, to enhance team spirit, develop credibility, respect, openness and trust.
- To actively participate in the training, development the Culinary colleagues, according to the monthly training plan, JD Power report “comment cards”, hygiene reports and any other highlighted areas for fine tuning/development that would benefit the team and guests.
- Conducts colleague performance appraisals to review colleagues’ general performance and discuss any areas for fine tuning/ development – and highlight areas of strength.
- Maximize motivation, morale and consistently maintain discipline and discipline related documentation following hotel guidelines and local legislation.
- To report accidents and sickness in the log Book and to report any such incidents immediately to the Executive Chef, with clear and concise updates if required, and follow up completed.
- To attend meetings and briefings as instructed by the Executive Chef, and clearly and concisely disseminates relevant information to related teams, within pre-determined time frames.
- To conduct regular meetings with the Culinary colleagues to assist, provide support , build morale and enhance credibility
- To inform and keep the Executive Chef up-to-date on challenges and irregularities and recommend courses of action.
- To respond to change positively, in the departmental function as dictated by the industry, company or hotel.
- Interacts with colleagues of other departments within areas of responsibility and develops solid working relationships with them.
- To assume full responsibility in the absence of the Executive Chef.
- To be an ambassador of Lateral service for the team
- To have a complete understanding of, and adhere to the company’s policy on Safety Procedures and Practices.
- To have a complete understanding of, and adhere to the company’s policy relating to Food hygiene and Safe Food Handling practices.
- To have a complete understanding of, and adhere to the Culinary standards relating to recipes, preparation methods and plating standards in your outlets.
- To assist in writing and updating the relevant section of the Departmental Operations Manual.
- To liaise with the Stewarding Manager in order to ensure high standards of cleanliness are maintained in all areas of the kitchen, such as machinery, small Kitchen equipment, floors and fridges
- To ensure that operating and kitchen equipment is maintained to a good standard with minimum breakage.
- To ensure that proper work orders are completed to repair Culinary equipment and solid follow up to ensure maximum operating equipment.
- To take responsibility for the quality of incoming produce, ensuring that all food merchandise is in accordance with order sheets, receiving records and purchasing specifications.
- Perform daily storeroom inspections of all walk-in refrigerators, reach ins , to ensure that proper rotation of food is adhered to
- To assume a professional interest for the quality of food prepared and presented in the employee dining room and the consistent – continuous improvement of related teams and product
- To assist the Executive Chef, Chef de Cuisine, communicate and delegate the production schedule for the day, collating quantities to be produced from the forecast and for the next day's operation, to the team with clear and concise details, and follow up
- To coordinate with the Executive Chef, the Executive Assistant Manger and the Director of Catering any special functions regarding food preparation and presentation, including additional costs and staffing requirements
- To expedite orders on the line.
- To identify and request assistance if required, prior to any breakdowns occurring.
- To supervise all colleagues during the set-up, service and breakdown for each meal period -event
- To follow all control and key procedures
- To ensure that all outlet reports, schedules, standard recipes, menus, food presentation photographs and correspondence are completed in liaison with the Executive Chef and Executive Sous Chefs in an accurate and punctual manner
- To ensure all “quality ingredients” are accurately ordered, received and stored following F.I.F.O. rotation.
- To ensure all “quality ingredients’’ are professionally prepared in accordance with recipes ,plating guides ,buffet set ups , with an emphasis on maximizing production time and minimizing waste, to support the Culinary Team achieve its financial goals-targets, Food Cost.
- To understand, prepare and post employee work schedules to reflect operating forecasts and to keep within budgeted figures.
- To verify that all scheduled staff is present and signed-in.
- Plans and implements effective food promotions in co-ordination with the Food & Beverage Promotion Calendar
- To develop “Chef’s Creations" which meet the needs of the target market and are in line with the operating concept for the restaurant-hotel.
- To communicate and delegate the production schedule for the day, collating quantities to be produced from the forecast and for the next day's operation.
- The ability to set up control systems, which will assure quality and portion consistency.
- To monitor the outlets operating costs and takes corrective pro-active action where necessary to reduce expenses.
- Identify Market needs and trends in terms of food for both hotel guests and local market, and Monitors and analyses the menus and products of competitive restaurants.
- College or Culinary graduate
- BSc in Culinary Arts
- Internationally approved Food Safety Certificate
- Ten years experience in five star luxury establishment.
- Experience in European Kitchens/Cuisine.
- Experience with high volume production (10 outlets)
- Must possess a high level of creativity.
- Must possess an eye for detail.
- Must possess solid communication skills.
- Must possess previous trainer experience.
- Experience with multi-cultural teams.
- Solid communication skills
Solid computer skills
Able to communicate effectively with large teams and effectively disseminate relevant information to related parties