Director of Housekeeping
Full job details
Responsible for the operations of all Housekeeping and Laundry operations including management of any outside contracts. Other responsibilities include the choosing and handling of uniforms in coordination with the Laundry Manager and the Rooms Division/F&B.
- Maintain complete knowledge of and comply with all departmental policies, service procedures and standards.
- Ensure that standards are maintained at a superior level on a daily basis.
- Establish and maintain the ultimate of cleanliness and institute work rules to accomplish same.
- Coordinate with Human Resources in establishing training methods and procedures for development of employees.
- Develop working schedules to meet peak end stock periods and always remain within the labor low requirements.
- Maintain a close payroll control.
- Keep a close liaison with Front Office to ascertain and meet anticipated guest check-in and check-out.
- Provide daily inspector of all areas to provide hotel standards and address necessary orders to correct shortcomings.
- Meet regularly with Engineering to ensure smooth flow of repair work.
- Keep good room and F&B linen inventory and assist with control of such.
- Prepare annual Housekeeping (FF&E) and Operating Equipment Budget in consultation with Management.
- Prepare annual Uniform Budget and controls maintenance and issuance of uniforms.
- Meet with salesmen or outside consultants in order to keep informed of development and be updated on all new and/or improved chemicals.
- Work closely with Managing Director in order to keep expenses within monthly forecast.
- Work closely with Purchasing Agent to ensure regular purchase and flow of supply and to keep a close supervision on Housekeeping storeroom inventories.
- Keep a close control of all supplies, making sure that we requisition on a timely basis so as not to disrupt the work flow.
- Keep a good control of the night contracted cleaning company in all areas.
- Maintain all linen closets in good standing.
- Make recommendations to management for modernization of equipment and chemicals.
- Oversee the running of Laundry department and quality control of all materials.
- Ensure the availability of correct guestroom linen and food and beverage linen at all times.
- Attend specified hotel meetings.
- Keep in compliance with all OSHA regulations.
- Hold regular staff meetings.
- Keeping good control of department keys, beeper and radio.
- Ensure that all employees are correctly attired and show a positive attitude always.
- Exhibit a friendly, helpful and courteous manner when dealing with guests and fellow employees.
- All other duties as required.
- Experience: Minimum two years’ experience as an Executive Housekeeper for a luxury or ultra-
- Education: College degree.
- General Skills: Must be able to perform job functions with attention to detail, speed and accuracy;
prioritize, organize and follow-up; be a clear thinker, remaining calm and resolving problems using good judgment; follow directions thoroughly; understand a guest’s service needs; work cohesively with co-workers as part of a team; work with minimal supervision; maintain confidentiality of guest information and pertinent hotel data.
- Technical Skills: Knowledge of public area management and laundry operations; knowledge of proper
chemical handling and following OSHA requirements; ability to satisfactorily communicate in English with guests, management and co-workers to their understanding; ability to provide legible communication; ability to manage payroll; ability to keep control of the budget; ability to train and develop the Housekeeping and Laundry departments; ability to motivate the staff and developing incentive programs to improve their productivity.
- Language: Required to speak, read and write English, with fluency in other languages preferred.
- Physical Requirements: Must be able to exert physical effort in transporting _____ pounds, endure various
physical movements throughout the work areas, reach up and down, remain stationary at times throughout work periods, and satisfactorily communicate with guests and co-workers to their understanding.
- Licenses & Certifications: None required.