Catering Manager (Events Sales)
Full job details
Under the supervision of the Director of Catering is responsible for generating the majority of banquet revenue as well as assisting in the general management of the Catering Department.
- To comply with the Hotel Code of Conduct at all times.
- Take responsibility for the co-ordination and monitoring of all meetings, from initial booking where possible through to post-conference evaluation and account settlement.
- Liaise with Sales Department at point of initial negotiations with client to assist Sales Department in providing profitable and efficient proposals that are in line with hotel guidelines.
- Administration of all MICE and catering business with close liaison with client, rooms, sales, reservations departments.
- Compile and issue to all operating departments the BEOs and Group summaries for all events at least 5 working days prior the event.
- Communicate all information through regular follow up with client to review banquet room allocations and expected guest numbers and communicate to all concerned departments.
- Arrange group check-ins in liaison with Front Office Manager.
- Conduct pre – and post event briefings and communicate any comments relevant to the specific “event(s)” to all Departments concerned to improve addressed shortfalls, if any, within the operation.
- Review all daily Food & Beverage and Conference charges posted to relevant accounts during each convention, meeting or incentive, to ensure that all charges are in line the BEO.
- Consult with the Director of Food & Beverage and Executive Chef to prepare menus which will attract business and yield a satisfactory profit (custom made menus).
- Attend weekly BEO meeting including: Event Sales and Services Executives, Banquet Manager, Banquet Chefs, and Chief Steward, to finalize all details of upcoming functions.
- Be aware of cyclical events and be pro-active in planning.
- Ensure accurate response to proposals within 24 hours and deliver a high level of guest service standard at all times in the Catering & Events Sales department.
- Ensure that leads are followed up in a timely and professional manner (48 hours after sending the enquiry).
- Ensure an effective handover of client’s conference requirements and contract details from Sales Managers and Catering & Events team to the Operations Team.
- Maintain a high level of service by constantly training and coaching all direct reports and staff.
- To maintain all resort records, forms and policies as prescribed by management.
- To maintain and improve administrative standards of the Department.
- Properly maintain the function sheet folder and monitor all additions, deletions and changes of status.
- Monitor and update menu maintenance.
- Remain flexible in any changes presented by a client in respected to their planned or unplanned activities / functions.
- Meet conference organizers daily before and after the event to confirm details.
- React with urgency to any requests of the client to ensure maximum satisfaction during their conference.
- Attend to details and follow-up on any requirements of the client in regards to engineering, outside contracts, entertainers, florist, audio visual, freight arrangements (incoming and outgoing), storage facilities, restaurant bookings, additional staffing and any internal or external communication between parties that is necessary.
- To ensure guest satisfaction and handle guest complaints.
- To establish outstanding guest relations.
- Report for duty punctually wearing correct uniform and name badge at all times.
- Provide courteous, professional service to external and internal clients at all times.
- Maintain good working relationships with own colleagues and all departments.
- Possess a comprehensive understanding of and adhere to the hotel’s policy relating to Fire and Emergency, Hygiene, Health and Safety.
- Maintain a high standard of personal appearance and hygiene at all times.
- To respond to changes in the department as dictated by industry, company or Resort.
- Perform any other reasonable duties as designated by your supervisor.
- Experience: Minimum three years’ experience for a luxury or ultra-luxury property.
- Education: College degree or equivalent work experience.
- General Skills: Must be able to perform job functions with attention to detail, speed and accuracy;
prioritize, organize and follow-up; be a clear thinker, remaining calm and resolving problems using good judgment; follow directions thoroughly; understand a guest’s service needs; work cohesively with co-workers as part of a team; work with minimal supervision; maintain confidentiality of guest information and pertinent hotel data.
- Technical Skills: Knowledge of international foods and wines; thorough knowledge of banquet service
and operations; thorough knowledge of market in which hotel is competing; ability to generate sales; ability to effectuate quality and quantity control standards; ability to be resourceful, creative and maintain flexibility; ability to add and subtract three digit numbers. Ability to perform mathematical operations with units of measure including, but, not limited to dollars, cents, feet, inches, cups, pounds and ounces; ability to access, input, analyze and retrieve information from computers; ability to maintain excellent relations with staff; ability to maintain staff and guest confidentiality at all times; ability to manage by example; ability to accept responsibility for actions of others; exceptional oral communication skills to ensure ability to negotiate and persuade guests and staff to achieve results beneficial to operation of hotel; ability to converse calmly with irate guests, superiors and subordinates in sometimes intense emotional situations; ability to focus and maintain attention to performance of tasks despite frequent stressful, emergency, critical or unusual interruptions; ability to memorize, recollect and quickly retrieve dates, names, times and other data; ability to work and complete assignments on time despite frequent stressful, emergency, critical or unusual interruptions; ability to participate in all departmental and hotel-wide meetings.
- Language: Required to speak, read and write English, with fluency in other languages preferred.
- Physical Requirements: Must be able to exert physical effort in transporting _____ pounds, endure various
physical movements throughout the work areas, reach up and down, remain stationary at times throughout work periods, and satisfactorily communicate with guests and co-workers to their understanding.
- Licenses & Certifications: None required.