Full job details
Supports the Banquet manager in the organizing banquet operations and ensuring smoothness of service of all banquets and functions held at the hotel and other Venues as well as supervising and training banquet personnel so as to provide courteous and efficient service, ensuring that all procedures are completed to the hotel's standards. Assist where necessary to ensure optimum service to guests.
- Maintain complete knowledge of and comply with all departmental policies, service procedures and standards.
- Ensure that standards are maintained at a superior level on a daily basis.
- Maintain complete knowledge of service requirements for assigned functions:
Detailed menu selections, major ingredients, appearance, texture, quality standards, garnish and method of presentation
Particular characteristics/descriptions of wines/champagnes ordered
Prices for specified selections on cash functions
Groups' names and background
Type of functions and expected attendance/guarantee numbers
Scheduled hours of service
Order of service, traffic flow in room
- Organize all assigned functions and complete preparation work in accordance to departmental standards.
- Follow up on special arrangements to ensure compliance with such.
- Check storage areas for proper supplies, organization and cleanliness.
- Complete requisition for additional supplies needed and submit to Manager.
- Instruct designated personnel to rectify any cleanliness/organization deficiencies.
- Handle booking for all casual labor and prepare requisition for casual labor.
- Inspect the scheduled function area/room for cleanliness, working condition and proper furniture/equipment set up; rectify any deficiencies with respective departments.
- Meet with the Chef and Stewarding to review scheduled group's menu and equipment requirements.
- Ensure agreement of delivery times, amounts and special arrangements.
- Communicate service needs throughout the function.
- Prepare station assignments for Banquet Waiters according to group requirements and hotel standards.
- Ensure that assigned staff has reported to work; document any late or absent employees.
- Coordinate breaks for assigned staff.
- Assign stations and side-work to Waiters in accordance with departmental procedures.
- Communicate additions or changes to the assignments as they arise throughout the shift.
- Identify situations, which compromise the department's standards and delegate these tasks.
- Conduct pre-meal meeting with Waiters and review all information pertinent to set-up and service of group.
- Inspect grooming and attire of staff; rectify any deficiencies.
- Inspect table set-ups; check for cleanliness, neatness and agreement with group requirements and departmental standards; rectify deficiencies with respective personnel.
- Check bar set-ups for cleanliness, organization and agreement with group requirements and departmental standards; resolve any problems.
- Check buffet tables/receptions/coffee breaks for cleanliness, attractiveness, layout; ensure agreement with function order and departmental standards; resolve any problems.
- Ensure replenishment of items as specified on event orders and requested by group contact.
- Set out name cards, escort cards in accordance with group requirements and departmental standards.
- Organize head table assembly and assist in group's entrance into the function area.
- Meet group coordinator/Greeter prior to function, make introduction and ensure that all arrangements are agreeable.
- Greet guests upon arrival at function and assist in seating as required by group in accordance with departmental standards.
- Direct waiters, captains and casuals on timing of service throughout function.
- Communicate additional meal requirements and special requests to the kitchen.
- Constantly monitor staff performance in all phases of service and job functions, ensuring that all procedures are carried out to departmental standards; rectify any deficiencies with respective personnel.
- Assist Banquet Staff with their job functions to ensure optimum service to guests.
- Observe guest reactions and confer frequently with service staff to ensure guest satisfaction.
- Anticipate guests' needs, respond promptly and acknowledge all guests, however busy and whatever time of day.
- Promote positive guest relations at all times.
- Be familiar with all hotel services/features and local attractions/activities to respond accurately to any guest inquiry.
- Monitor and handle guest complaints by following the six step procedures and ensuring guest satisfaction.
- Total all charges for the group function, prepare check and present to group contact for payment.
- Adhere to all cashiering procedures/policies.
- Ensure that unused food is returned to the kitchen, that designated condiments are broken down and properly stored (butters, cream, dressings, etc.) and that all banquet supplies are returned to designated storage areas.
- Direct the final breakdown of function room and clean up. Ensure all department standards are met.
- Ensure all closing duties for staff are completed before staff signing out.
- Conduct training of staff as assigned.
- Provide feedback on staff performance to manager.
- Report disciplinary problems to manager and participate in the counseling of employees.
- Foster and promote a cooperative working climate, maximizing productivity and employees’ morale.
- Respond to all pages by beeper promptly.
- Complete work orders for maintenance repairs and submits to Engineering.
- Contact Engineering directly for urgent repairs.
- Document pertinent information in department logbook and or captains report.
- Complete all paperwork and closing duties in accordance with departmental standards.
- Review status of assignments and any follow-up action with manager and/or on-coming Captain.
- Inspect all set up and rooms for next day work.
- Take over Banquet Manager duties in his/her absence.
- All other duties as required.
- Experience: Minimum 21 years of age to serve alcoholic beverages; four years’ experience in restaurant and banquet service.
- Education: High school diploma.
- General Skills: Must be able to perform job functions with attention to detail, speed and accuracy; prioritize, organize and follow-up; be a clear thinker, remaining calm and resolving problems using good judgment; follow directions thoroughly; understand a guest’s service needs; work cohesively with co-workers as part of a team; work with minimal supervision; maintain confidentiality of guest information and pertinent hotel data.
- Technical Skills: Ability to enforce hotel's standards, policies and procedures with assigned staff; ability to prioritize and organize work assignments; delegate work; ability to direct performance of assigned staff and follow up with corrections where needed; ability to motivate assigned staff and maintain a cohesive team; ability to ascertain staff training needs and provide such training; ability to be a clear thinker, analyze and resolve problems, exercising good judgment; ability to focus attention of details; ability to exert physical effort in transporting equipment and wares; ability to endure abundant physical movements in carrying out job duties; ability to ensure security of storage room access and hotel property; ability to work without direct supervision.
- Language: Required to speak, read and write English, with fluency in other languages preferred.
- Physical Requirements: Must be able to exert physical effort in transporting _____ pounds, endure various physical movements throughout the work areas, reach up and down, remain stationary at times throughout work periods, and satisfactorily communicate with guests and co-workers to their understanding.
- Licenses & Certifications: None required.