Engineering Landscaping Supervisor
Full job details
Description Marriott's Autograph Collection features a select group of upscale and luxury independent partner hotels, each with its own distinct personality, experience, style and features. Located in major cities and desirable destinations around the world, Autograph guests favor hotel stays that reflect their own unique and personal styles. Be a part of our team and deliver an innovative guest experiences that resists predictability.
Monitor the interior and exterior landscape and plantscape, all facets of grounds management, cleanliness of the sidewalks, driveways, parking areas and streets, maintenance of all landscape equipment, and serve as the overall coordinator of snow and ice removal. In addition, responsible for maintaining the systems integrity of the facility boiler systems, pumps, ventilation systems, plumbing, water and sewage systems, the Energy Management System (EMS) and other building components. Ensure that appropriate service manuals, technical manuals and blueprints are available, current and utilized during preventive maintenance, repair or replacement systems or components. Provide information to managers, peers, subordinates and other departments. Function as a technical department resource and provide training to incumbents and new hires. The scope of the supervisor’s duties may be contingent upon the department’s size. Assist management in hiring, training, scheduling, evaluating, counseling, disciplining, and motivating and coaching employees. Follow all company and safety and security policies and procedures; report maintenance problems, safety hazards, accidents, or injuries; and complete safety training and certifications. Ensure uniform and personal appearance are clean and professional, and maintain confidentiality of proprietary information. Welcome and acknowledge all guests according to company standards, anticipate and address guests’ service needs, and assist individuals with disabilities. Develop and maintain positive working relationships with others, support team to reach common goals, and listen and respond appropriately to the concerns of other employees. Ensure adherence to quality expectations and standards; and identify, recommend, develop, and implement new ways to increase organizational efficiency, productivity, quality, safety, and/or cost-savings. Speak with others using clear and professional language. Visually inspect tools, equipment, or machines. Reach overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting, pulling, and stooping. Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 50 pounds without assistance. Grasp, turn, and manipulate objects of varying size and weight. Stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time. Move up and down stairs and/or service ramps. Perform other reasonable job duties as requested by Supervisors. CRITICAL TASKS Safety and Security
- Report work related accidents, or other injuries immediately upon occurrence to manager/supervisor.
- Use proper equipment, wear appropriate personal protective clothing (PPE), and employ correct lifting procedures, as necessary, to avoid injury.
- Follow company and department safety and security policies and procedures to ensure a clean, safe, and secure environment.
- Identify and correct unsafe work procedures or conditions and/or report them to management and security/safety personnel.
- Follow policies and procedures for the safe operation and storage of tools, equipment, and machines.
- Follow Hazardous Material Management Program procedures for handling and disposing of chemicals, fertilizer, pesticides, blood borne pathogens, etc., including using Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS).
- Follow property specific procedures for handling emergency situations (e.g., evacuations, medical emergencies, natural disasters).
- Complete appropriate safety training and certifications to perform work tasks.
Policies and Procedures
- Protect the privacy and security of guests and coworkers.
- Protect company tools, equipment, machines, or other assets in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Maintain confidentiality of proprietary materials and information.
- Follow company and department policies and procedures.
- Ensure uniform, nametags, and personal appearance are clean, hygienic, professional and in compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Perform other reasonable job duties as requested by Supervisors.
- Address guests' service needs in a professional, positive, and timely manner.
- Assist other employees to ensure proper coverage and prompt guest service.
- Speak to guests and co-workers using clear, appropriate and professional language.
- Provide assistance to coworkers, ensuring they understand their tasks.
- Discuss work topics, activities, or problems with coworkers, supervisors, or managers discreetly and quietly, avoiding public areas of the property.
- Talk with and listen to other employees to effectively exchange information.
- Exchange information with other employees using electronic devices (e.g., pagers and two-way radios, email).
- Serve as a departmental role model or mentor by working alongside employees to perform technical or functional job duties.
- Ensure that hourly employees are trained on company core values, job roles, responsibilities, and technical and service aspects of the job.
- Assign and ensure work tasks are completed on time and that they meet appropriate quality standards.
- Coordinate tasks and work with other departments to ensure that the department runs efficiently.
- Assist management in establishing and communicating goals, performance expectations, timetables and deadlines for shift or departmental operations to hourly employees and ensure that they are understood.
- Encourage and motivate employees to perform their best, take responsibility for tasks and assignments, make decisions and provide input on possible improvements.
- Listen to hourly employees' suggestions for improving how work is done and how guests are served, gaining management support as needed to act upon suggestions.
- Assist management to ensure that hourly employees have the necessary resources to effectively perform their jobs (e.g., supplies, equipment, and inventory).
- Collaborate with management to develop and carry-out ideas and procedures, and set goals to continuously improve department performance around guest and employee satisfaction scores.
- Ensure employee compliance with company standards and policies and external regulations (e.g., safety, OSHA, department-specific procedures such as food standards).
- Coach and develop employees (e.g., create expectations for continual improvement, provide challenging tasks and assignments, hold development discussions, and construct and execute development plans).
- Participate in Guarantee of Fair Treatment process as an hourly associate's first point of contact.
- Assist management in conducting interviews and selecting new hourly associates.
- Assist management in preparing and conducting performance appraisals, disciplinary action, and payroll for hourly associates.
- Collaborate with management to develop and carry-out ideas and procedures to continuously improve department performance around employee satisfaction scores.
- Counsel hourly associates on work related concerns and issues to ensure satisfaction and productivity enlisting the support of management as needed.
- Collaborate with management to recognize and celebrate hourly associate performance contributions.
- Listen to hourly associates' suggestions for improving how work is done and occupants are served. Gain management support as needed to act upon suggestions.
- Work with management to ensure that hourly associates have the necessary resources to effectively perform their jobs.
- Give constructive feedback to hourly associates to help them do their jobs better.
- Perform administrative duties normally assigned to supervisory personnel.
Working with Others
- Support all co-workers and treat them with dignity and respect.
- Handle sensitive issues with employees and/or guests with tact, respect, diplomacy, and confidentiality.
- Develop and maintain positive and productive working relationships with other employees and departments.
- Partner with and assist others to promote an environment of teamwork and achieve common goals.
- Actively listen to and consider the concerns of other employees, responding appropriately and effectively.
Grounds/Maintenance Supervisor Protocol
- Conduct day-to-day shift or oversee department operation.
- Serve as an individual contributor and department role model by performing technical or functional job duties.
- Ensure that hourly associates are trained on technical and service aspects of the job.
- Maintain facility grounds, parking areas, sidewalks and maintenance equipment in a consistently high quality state of appearance and workmanship.
- Direct all facets of turf management which includes over seeding, nutrient needs, pest control, irrigation, mowing operations, aeration, care of all trees and shrubs, weed control, edging, pruning and trash patrol.
- Design and procure seasonal flower arrangements, plans and installs seasonal flower rotations, maintains sufficient supplies to supports quality landscape management programs.
- Coordinate all snow and ice removal within the department.
- Inspect all machinery in the Maintenance Department spaces, directly supervises and monitors subordinates as they troubleshoot, diagnose and repair or replace defective systems or components.
- Ensure that appropriate logs and records are maintained.
- Maintain an up to date technical library on all mechanical and boiler related systems and components.
- Supervise the mechanical portion of the Maintenance Department preventive maintenance program.
- Operate the departmental computer supported EMS to control the environmental conditions.
- Coordinate all actions with the Chief Engineer and Manager of Plants, Operations and Maintenance.
- Promote a safe working environment by maintaining cleanliness of all mechanical spaces, ensuring that subordinates follow all safety precautions.
- Submit recommendations and proposals in advance of the annual budget preparation cycle.
- Provide creative solutions to real life engineering problems in the Maintenance Department.
- Able to read schematics, blueprints and shop drawings.
- Perform other reasonable job duties as requested by Managers.
Quality Assurance/Quality Improvement
- Comply with quality assurance expectations and standards.
- Identify and recommend new ideas, technologies, or processes to increase organizational efficiency, productivity, quality, safety, and/or cost-savings.
- Visually inspect tools, equipment, or machines (e.g., to identify defects).
- Reach overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting, pulling, and stooping.
- Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 50 pounds without assistance.
- Grasp, turn, and manipulate objects of varying size and weight, requiring fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination.
- Stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time or for an entire work shift.
- Move up and down stairs and/or service ramps.
Install, Maintain, and Repair Items
- Ensure that all flammable materials are stored in OSHA and EPA approved containment devices.
- Carry all equipment (e.g., keys, phones, pager, tools, radio) in order to maintain preparedness to carry out work tasks at all times.
- Use the Lockout/Tagout system before performing any maintenance work.
- Respond and attend to guest repair requests.
- Perform preventative maintenance on tools and equipment, including cleaning and lubrication.
- Assist with moving, lifting, carrying, and placing of objects weighing in excess of 100 pounds.
Maintain Building and Property
- Report any serious maintenance problems, unusual findings, or safety hazards immediately to the manager/supervisor.
- Identify, locate, and operate all shut-off valves for equipment.
- Comply with the life safety checklist, including completing the fire-pump run test and generator run test in accordance with local jurisdictions and company policies.
- Inspect fire sprinkler valves and fire alarm systems in accordance with company policy and local codes.
- Assist in development of disaster response protocols.
CRITICAL COMPETENCIES Interpersonal Skills
- Team Work
- Customer Service Orientation
- Diversity Relations
- Interpersonal Skills
- Safety Orientation
- Positive Demeanor
- Stress Tolerance
- Self Development
Tools and Equipment
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Hand/Power Tools
- Time Management
- Detail Orientation
- Planning and Organizing
- Delegating and Directing
- Team Building
- Performance Management
- Resolving Conflict
- Applied Reading
- Form, Report, and Log Completion
Equipment Operation and Maintenance
- Vehicle Operation
- Mower Operation
- Hand/Power Tools
Technical Certifications and Licenses (required)
- Driver’s License
- Commercial or Private Applicator
- First Class Stationary Engineer’s Operating License or equivalent
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Education High school diploma/G.E.D equivalent Related Work Experience
Five to eight years of related work experience with three years experience in landscape or grounds management Supervisory Experience Supervisory experience is preferred
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture.