Full job details
Dubai is a cosmopolitan city built on irrepressible ambition and unsurpassed luxury. Home to the world’s tallest building, the largest shopping mall, the iconic Palm Jumeirah and now the landmark JW Marriott Marquis Dubai, it is a place for those who seek the best the world has to offer.
The Marquis brand is a quality standard for the finest properties in the Marriott portfolio, synonymous with intuitive service and refined taste. The JW Marriott Marquis Dubai has instantly gained status as one of the region’s most compelling destinations, offering service and facilities that have been carefully crafted around the expectations of the world’s most discerning travelers.
Comprising two iconic towers, the JW Marriott Marquis Dubai stands elevated above Dubai’s Business Bay on Sheikh Zayed Road, the heart of one of the most desirable locations in the city.
The hotel features elegantly conceived accommodation, outstanding event and business facilities, a collection of 14 stylish bars and restaurants and the haven of health and relaxation that is Saray Spa and Health Club. A marriage of rich and colorful cultural inspirations and design finesse makes it a destination with distinctive character and ambience.
The Financial Controller manages the day-to-day operation of the Accounting Office. Primary responsibilities include financial analysis and financial reporting, budgeting/forecasting, audit and control, asset and liability reconciliation, working capital and cash control.
JOB FAMILY CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
- Ensuring P&L Accuracy - Ensuring Profits and Losses are documented accurately.
- Creating Annual Budget - Analyzing information, forecasting sales against expenses and creating annual budget plans.
- Ensuring Report Delivery Deadlines - Submitting reports in a timely manner, ensuring delivery deadlines.
- Demonstrating Leadership - Utilizing interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
- Monitoring Actual vs. Projected Sales - Compiling information, analyzing and monitoring actual sales against projected sales.
- Comparing Budgeted Wages to Actual Wages - Analyzing differences between actual budget wages and forecasted wages for more efficient budget planning.
- Achieving/Exceeding Goals - Achieving and exceeding goals including performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
- Analyzing Data or Information - Identifying the underlying principles, reasons, or facts of information by breaking down information or data into separate parts.
- Developing and Executing Business Plans - Thinking creatively and practically to develop, execute and implement new business plans
- Generating and Delivering Accurate and Timely Results - Generating and providing accurate and timely results in the form of reports, presentations, etc.
- Meeting the Needs of Key Stakeholders - Understanding and meeting the needs of key stakeholders (owners, corporate, guests, etc.).
- Oversees internal, external and regulatory audit processes.
- Ensures that regular on-going communication occurs with employees to create awareness of business objectives, communicate expectations, and recognize performance.
- Celebrates successes by publicly recognizing the contributions of team members.
- Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with employees.
- Ensures employees establish and maintain open, collaborative relationships within their team.
- Participates in the employee performance appraisal process, providing feedback as needed.
- Ensures disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to Standard and Local Operating Procedures (SOPs and LSOPs) and support the Peer Review Process.
- Ensures property policies are administered fairly and consistently.
- Utilizes an "open door" policy.
- Solicits employee feedback
JOB SPECIFIC TASKS
- Facilitates critique meetings to review information with management team.
- Ensures a strong accounting and operational control environment to safeguard assets, improve operations and profitability.
- Ensures compliance with standard and local operating procedures (SOPs and LSOPs).
- Oversees internal, external and regulatory audit processes.
- Ensures compliance with Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Ensures that the P&L is accurate (e.g., costs are properly matched to revenue, costs are recorded in the proper accounts).
- Reviews audit issues to ensure accuracy.
- Ensures team members are cross-trained to support successful daily operations.
- Understands the owners' perspective and ROI expectations.
- Communicates financial concepts in a clear and persuasive manner that is easy to understand and drives desired behaviors.
- Analyzes financial data and market trends.
- Implements a system of appropriate controls to manage business risks.
- Provides excellent leadership by assigning team members and other departments managers' clear accountability backed by appropriate authority.
- Ensures new hires participate in the orientation program.
- Ensures new hires receive the appropriate new hire training to successfully perform their job.
- Creates appropriate development plans which develop team members based on their individual strengths, development needs, career aspirations and abilities.
- Holds staff accountable for successful performance.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Finance and Accounting or related major; 5 years experience in the finance and accounting or related professional area, with at least 4 years experience on property, or;
- Master's degree in Finance and Accounting or related major; no work experience required.
Skills and Knowledge
- Economics and Accounting - Knowledge of economic and accounting principles and practices, P&L statements, operating budgets, forecasting and scheduling, and the reporting of financial data.
- Basic Computer Skills - Using basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
- Mathematics - Using mathematics to solve problems.
- Management of Financial Resources - Determining how money will be spent to get the work done, and accounting for these expenditures.
- Analytical/Critical Thinking - The ability to gather and organize information using a logical and systematic process; recognize patterns and relationships in complex data; examine data to identify implications, problems and draw appropriate conclusions; generate alternative solutions to problems; evaluate strengths, weaknesses and consequences of alternative solutions and approaches to solving problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Number Facility - The ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly and correctly.
- Purchasing and Materials Management - Knowledge of practices and procedures needed to maintain material, equipment and supplies; including vendor identification and contract negotiation, supply requisition and purchasing, and inventory control (e.g., accounting and budgeting).
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Adaptability - Ability to effectively adjust to major changes in work tasks or the work environment.
- Applied Business Knowledge - Understands market dynamics, enterprise level objectives, financial metrics, and important aspects of Marriott's business; skilled at using business knowledge to anticipate opportunities and risks.
- Building a Successful Team - Skilled at building a cohesive team and facilitating goal accomplishment.
- Building Strategic Working Relationships - Skilled at developing and using collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals.
- Building Trust - Ability to interact with others in an honest, fair and respectful way; giving others confidence in one's intentions and those of the organization.
- Communication - Skilled at clearly conveying information and ideas through a variety of media; engaging the audience and helping them understand and retain the message.
- High Work Standards - Sets high standards of performance for self and others; assumes responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks.
- Leading Through Vision and Values - Keeps Marriott's values and business strategy at the forefront of decision making and actions.
- Planning and Organizing - Skilled at establishing courses of action for self and others to ensure work is completed efficiently.
- Strategic Decision Making - Ability to gather and organize information relevant to a long-range goal or vision, develop alternative strategies, and execute a course of action to carry out strategy.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.