Head Steward - Mandarin Language
Norwegians have more fun at work!
Norwegian Cruise Line is the innovator in cruise travel with a 49-year history of breaking the boundaries of traditional cruising, most notably with the introduction of Freestyle Cruising which revolutionized the industry by giving guests more freedom and flexibility. Today, Norwegian invites guests to “Cruise Like a Norwegian” on one of 13 purpose-built Freestyle Cruising ships, providing guests the opportunity to enjoy a relaxed, resort style cruise vacation on some of the newest and most contemporary ships at sea. Recently, the line was named “Europe’s Leading Cruise Line” for the sixth consecutive year, as well as “Caribbean’s Leading Cruise Line” and “World’s Leading Large Ship Cruise Line” by the World Travel Awards.
Come join our team!
Job Summary and Essential Job Functions:
The Head Steward works under the general guidance and supervision of the Assistant Executive Housekeeper and within the limits of established Norwegian Cruise Line policies and procedures. Supervises the activities of the Utility Hotel, Crew Stewards, Officer Utilities, Senior Officer Utility, and the Head Cleaner to ensure clean, orderly and attractive public areas and guest staterooms. In order to consistently exceed guest expectations and provide the highest levels of product and services, additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
- Carries out the following routine assignments:
- Ensures that Officer/Senior Officer and staff rooms are cleaned, serviced, and set up properly with linen/towel replenishment as per the entitlement policy. Inspects crew staterooms and back-of-the-house areas to ensure cleanliness is maintained. Ensures that all Boundary cabins are cleaned, serviced, and set up properly as per company policy.
- Reports and logs any maintenance issues for crew staterooms in Fidelio and follows up as necessary.
- Maintains the cleanliness of the service and surrounding areas. Keeps all pantry and supply lockers, neat, cleaned and stocked.
- Ensure that Spa Area, Fitness Center, Kids Corner and Teens Club are properly maintained according to USPH regulations.
- Creates and maintains a carpet maintenance cleaning schedule, ensuring all public room and corridor carpets are clean and stain-free.
- Assists with the delivery and collection of guest luggage on turn around day.
- Schedules department personnel so that all areas of housekeeping are properly staffed at all times while constantly monitoring staffing needs and budgetary guidelines. Ensures that staff time sheets are completed accurately and in accordance with the numbers of hours worked.
- Offer all possible assistance to guests and takes corrective action on complaints and strives for prompt guest recovery.
- Perform other related duties as assigned or as directed. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Two years’ experience working in hotel establishments is required, or two years’ experience working as a Room Steward onboard ships is required.
- Intermediate to advanced level English verbal and writing skills, including the proper use of English grammar is required.
- Intermediate to advanced skills in typing and computer software skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, Fidelio, Micros) is required.
- While performing the essential functions of this job, all team members are required to stand; walk long distances on the ship; use hands to touch, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk, hear, taste and smell. All vessel positions require repetitive motion of bending, climbing, going up and down stairs and lifting more than 25 pounds. This job requires specific vision abilities to include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- All team members must be physically able to participate in emergency life saving procedures and drills. All vessel positions require full use and range of arms and legs as well as full visual, verbal and hearing abilities to receive and give instructions in the event of an emergency including the lowering of lifeboats.
- Work within different temperature changes—indoors to outdoors.
- Able to pass basic safety course.
- This is a minimal description of duties. Other work requirements may be necessary and assigned as business or maritime law dictates.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
It is Norwegian Cruise Line's policy not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, and marital or veteran status. EOE