Fleet Chief Butcher
GROW YOUR CAREER WITH US
At Norwegian Cruise Line, we know our future success depends on our ability to attract and retain the very best talent. We are seeking individuals that are passionate about hospitality and being their personal best. We are a dedicated, passionate team, all driven by the spirit of determination and innovation and as you learn more about our company, we think you will agree that there is no better time than now to become a member of the Norwegian Cruise Line family. www.ncl.com
ABOUT NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE
Norwegian Cruise Line is the innovator in cruise travel with a 50-year history of breaking the boundaries of traditional cruising, most notably with the introduction of Freestyle Cruising which revolutionized the industry by giving guests more freedom and flexibility to design their ideal cruise vacation. Norwegian operates a total of 14 purpose-built Freestyle Cruising ships, providing guests the opportunity to enjoy a relaxed, resort style cruise vacation on some of the newest and most contemporary ships at sea. Recently, the line was named “World’s Leading Large Ship Cruise Line" for the fourth consecutive year by the World Travel Awards. In the summer of 2017, we will launch our 15th ship, Norwegian Joy, sailing exclusively in China; https://www.ncl.com/norwegian-joy
- The Travelling Chief Butcher is primary responsibility is the management of an assigned galley for Norwegian Cruise Line, to ensure that the line's high standards are achieved and maintained within budgetary limitations. Is seen as an inspirational role model by his/her employees. Is a top professional in the field with a passion for the Culinary Arts.
- This includes all practices, procedures, training and guest satisfaction levels. A procedural approach to managing the entire onboard galley department must be employed, utilizing modern management principles as well as incorporating technological innovations where practical in order to deliver top quality guest service.
- In order to consistently exceed guest expectations and provide the highest levels of product and services, additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
- Establish and develop a highly motivated, pro-active galley team with the highest ethical standards that delivers a cost effective and quality oriented service product.
- On a daily basis, meets with the Executive Sous Chef that oversees the production galley to review daily production schedules and internal requisitions placed by the various restaurants.
- Attend and participate in the weekly Galley Management meeting.
- Effectively communicate with the staff through daily line-ups and monthly meetings. Provide continuous training to the crew on modern preparation and presentation techniques as well as on Company established recipes and menu grids.
- Ensure cross-training between fabrication areas (meat, poultry, fish and seafood)
- Continue own education by staying abreast of trends and new techniques, and sharing this information with the team.
- Monitor the performance of all butcher staff to ensure that their duties are carried out in accordance with Company policy, and safety and environmental regulations.
- Monitor galley crewmember performance. Identify strengths and weaknesses and provide timely feedback to the individual. Make recommendations to the Executive Chef and Executive Sous Chef regarding succession planning.
- Monitor crew turnover and implement plans to decrease.
- Ensure that assigned galley is maintained in accordance with Company policy, USPH, SMS and safety and environmental regulations.
- Ensure that the F&B department achieves satisfactory guest satisfaction ratings on a consistent basis.
- Continuously review the operation and make recommendations on how to enhance the product to the Fleet Executive Chef and Executive Chef.
- Implement new policies, standard operating procedures and Company initiatives as assigned.
- Enforce cost control procedures and monitor waste and breakage.
- Ensure that guest complaints are dealt with in a timely, professional manner and in accordance with Company policy.
- Check reports (waste logs, production sheets, daily checklists, etc.) and provide feedback to the Executive Chef & Executive Sous Chef.
- Review all food requisitions and food purchase orders before submitting to the Executive Sous Chef for approval.
- Perform yield analyzing on products
- Responsible for ensuring that assigned galley operates within the established budgetary guidelines for the vessel.
- Must be familiar with the Safety and Environmental Protection Policy and the SEMS, and carry out the policies and procedures appropriate for his/her position.
- Minimum of three years’ experience as a Chief Butcher in a large size cruise ship or multi-venue, high volume, luxury hotel or resort is required.
- Intermediate to Advanced level English verbal and writing skills, including the proper use of English grammar is required.
- Intermediate to Advanced skills in typing and computer software skills are required (Microsoft Word, Excel, Fidelio Cruise, Micros).
- Minimum of one year of experience working extensively with budgets, projections and implementing cost-control measures is required.
- Functional Expertise (Minimum requirement of three years for each of these functional qualifications
- Excellent knowledge and demonstration skills of protein fabrication in regards to composition, structure and quality factors.
- Excellent knowledge of fabricating:
- Pork, beef, veal and lamb
- Fish and seafood
- Excellent knowledge of American and International specification on:
- Beef, veal and lamb
- Solid progression through the Butcher ranks
- Track record of successfully managing food cost and inventory control
- Establish and maintain proper inventories
- Good computer skills to include spreadsheets, word processing and e-mail
- Excellent knowledge of USPH/FDA regulations
- Bachelors Degree in a Culinary discipline or foreign equivalent is required. Some work experience as a Butcher may substitute for this educational requirement at an equivalent rate.
- Certificate of completion from a recognized culinary educational institution is required.
- Advanced Certification in Sanitation and Public Health from a recognized educational institution is required.
- Proactive, Team Player, Problem Solver
- Passionate about hospitality and customer service driven
- Must have a professional appearance and good hygiene
- Respect for all co-workers and guests
- Pride in your work by creating positive energy, excitement and fun
- Able to work 7 days a week
- Demonstrate positive behaviors; smiling, being polite and courteous
- Able to develop a camaraderie with team members
- Ability to live in close quarters, share limited space with other cabin-mates
- While performing the essential functions of this job, all team members are required to stand; walk long distances on the ship; use hands to touch, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk, hear, taste and smell. All vessel positions require repetitive motion of bending, climbing, going up and down stairs and lifting more than 25 pounds. This job requires specific vision abilities to include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- All team members must be physically able to participate in emergency life-saving procedures and drills. All vessel positions require full use and range of arms and legs as well as full visual, verbal and hearing abilities to receive and give instructions in the event of an emergency including the lowering of lifeboats.
- Work within different temperature changes-indoors to outdoors.
- Able to pass basic safety course.
- This is a minimal description of duties. Other work requirements may be necessary and assigned as business or maritime law dictates.
If you’re interested to be considered for this position, please click the blue APPLY button at the top of the page to get started.
THE NORWEGIAN FAMILY OF BRANDS
Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. is a diversified cruise operator of leading global cruise lines spanning market segments from contemporary to luxury under the brands Norwegian Cruise Line®, Oceania Cruises® and Regent Seven Seas Cruises®.
GET SOCIAL WITH US!
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
It is Norwegian Cruise Line's policy not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, and marital or veteran status.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.