Head Mixologist - Mandarin Speakers
GROW YOUR CAREER WITH US
At Norwegian Cruise Line, we know our future success depends on our ability to attract and retain the very best talent. We are seeking individuals that are passionate about hospitality and being their personal best. We are a dedicated, passionate team, all driven by the spirit of determination and innovation and as you learn more about our company, we think you will agree that there is no better time than now to become a member of the Norwegian Cruise Line family. www.ncl.com
ABOUT NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE
Norwegian Cruise Line is the innovator in cruise travel with a 50-year history of breaking the boundaries of traditional cruising, most notably with the introduction of Freestyle Cruising which revolutionized the industry by giving guests more freedom and flexibility to design their ideal cruise vacation. Norwegian operates a total of 14 purpose-built Freestyle Cruising ships, providing guests the opportunity to enjoy a relaxed, resort style cruise vacation on some of the newest and most contemporary ships at sea. Recently, the line was named “World’s Leading Large Ship Cruise Line" for the fourth consecutive year by the World Travel Awards. In the summer of 2017, we will launch our 15th ship, Norwegian Joy, sailing exclusively in China; https://www.ncl.com/norwegian-joy
Job Summary and Essential Functions:
Responsible for training bartenders, using our methodology for creating balanced and great tasting cocktails each and every time. He/ she must encourage the bartenders to create original craft cocktails that are both cost effective and foster a unique guest experience with the ultimate goal of improving both company profits and overall pride in product and service. This is a hands-on position and must have an acute focus on providing the bartenders with the knowledge to consistently execute and innovate, to keep our product high end and on trend. Must guide bartenders to take personal pride in their work and help them discover mixology as a new challenging and creative career path rather than a job. Activities to be managed (and executed) include (but are not limited to): cocktail demonstrations, beer seminars and food pairing, bartender industry competitions, training and coaching bartenders for industry bartender’s competition Assists the Bar Manager and the Assistant Bar Manager in the operation and supervision of all public bars, lounges, decks and crew bar. In order to consistently exceed guest expectations and provide the highest levels of product and services, additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
- Works directly with the bar staff using a hands-on management approach by assisting the Bartenders during busy hours, as well as providing coverage during their meal hours and whenever necessary.
- Conducts all the necessary training, especially “on the job training”, as instructed by the Beverage Manager to develop each individual to reach the required level of service standards.
- Monitors pours of the bartenders, counting, as a normal part of working and observing at close contact with their bartenders. Performs pour tests daily or as much as possible.
- Responsible for ensuring that company standards of service for beverage and wine are being followed and that the standard drink recipes, including proper garnishes, are adhered to.
- Responsible for assisting in ensuring that the beverage sales forecasted for bars and lounges on the ship are met and exceeded.
- Responsible for assisting in achieving the guest satisfaction targets established for the ship in bar service and product quality.
- Strives to meet the target cost of sales for the operation as determined by the company budgets.
- Ensures that all company beverage service standards and sequence of service are being followed and adhered to by the staff while on duty.
- Helps to resolve in a satisfactory and proactive manner all service and product deficiencies and follows up on guest comments and/or concerns.
- Ensures that the staff and the operation follow and are compliant with all Public Health rules and regulations.
- Maintains and safeguards records, reports and other documents pertinent to the staff and the operation as dictated by policy and as direct by the Company.
- Plans and leads the training of all bar staff in standard drink recipes and mixology knowledge.
- Assists in managing and achieving the budgets that are determined for the bar organization when it comes to all departmental expenses, salaries and manning.
- Helps to ensure that all beverage stocks in the bars, lockers and pantries are used, stored, inventoried and accounted for following company policies and guidelines.
- Assists to ensure the proper accounting and recording of all beverage transactions while monitoring on a daily basis that the standard pouring measures are being followed in the preparation and service of all beverage products.
- Assists in the monitoring of beverage promotions as determined by the Corporate Office and provides regular feedback on effectiveness to the Bar Manager.
- Ensures on a daily basis that only authorized beverages are being used for company-hosted parties and functions in accordance with established guidelines and policies. In addition, ensures that there is proper accounting and recording of the consumption registered for each of these events.
- Promotes cost awareness by controlling breakage and spoilage and avoiding waste and theft.
- Helps to ensure that internal requisitions from the different outlets are given to the appropriate storekeeper.
- Helps to conduct regular inventories and par spot-checks to monitor items received, consumed, issued, transferred or broken/spoiled and informs the Bar Manager of variances registered or identified.
- Assists in maintaining inventory levels within the budgeted values as determined by company guidelines.
- Helps to ensure the security and safety of inventories in the storerooms, bars and pantries.
- Helps to ensure that in his/her daily rounds storerooms, pantries and bars are clean, and organized and inventories labeled when required.
- Helps to inform Bar of what items are temporarily out of stock and when they are due back on board.
- Recommends to the Bar Manager performance improvement measures for all the staff in accordance with policies.
- Helps to maintain an open door policy with the staff and assists in resolving, in a fair and just manner, the concerns of the Beverage Team therefore helping to maintain the high morale and motivation of the brigade.
- Communicates daily with others in the bar management team about operational issues.
- Suggests to Bar Manager hours of operation for the outlets and recommends any necessary changes based on observations made by demand and traffic patterns on the part of guests.
- Regularly attends the Bar Department meeting as well as any other as required by shipboard management.
- Maintains a high and visible profile on the day-to-day operation by being on the floor during his or her shift and checks on a daily basis, at least twice, every bar, lounge and deck on the ship.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or as directed. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
- Must be familiar with the Safety and Environmental Protection Policy and the SEMS, and carry out the policies and procedures appropriate for his/her position.
- High school diploma or foreign equivalent is required.
- Minimum of two (2) years’ experience as a Head Bartender or Bartender in a large cruise ship or a combination of ship and large hotel/bar experience in these positions is required.
- Advanced level English verbal and writing skills, including the proper use of English grammar is required.
- Advanced level of supervisory knowledge in running a shift with multiple bars and lounges with different themes and menus is required.
- Intermediate to Advanced skills in typing and computer software skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, Fidelio Cruise, Micros) is required.
- While performing the essential functions of this job, all team members are required to stand; walk long distances on the ship; use hands to touch, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk, hear, taste and smell.All vessel positions require repetitive motion of bending, climbing, going up and down stairs and lifting more than 25 pounds.This job requires specific vision abilities to include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- All team members must be physically able to participate in emergency lifesaving procedures and drills. All vessel positions require full use and range of arms and legs as well as full visual, verbal and hearing abilities to receive and give instructions in the event of an emergency including the lowering of lifeboats.
- Work within different temperature changes—indoors to outdoors.
- Able to pass basic safety course.
- This is a minimal description of duties. Other work requirements may be necessary and assigned as business or maritime law dictates.
If you’re interested to be considered for this position, please click the blue APPLY button at the top of the page to get started.
THE NORWEGIAN FAMILY OF BRANDS
Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. is a diversified cruise operator of leading global cruise lines spanning market segments from contemporary to luxury under the brands Norwegian Cruise Line®, Oceania Cruises® and Regent Seven Seas Cruises®.
GET SOCIAL WITH US!
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
It is Norwegian Cruise Line's policy not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, and marital or veteran status.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.