Chef de Partie
GROW YOUR CAREER WITH US
At Norwegian Cruise Line, we know our future success depends on our ability to attract and retain the very best talent. We are seeking individuals that are passionate about hospitality and being their personal best. We are a dedicated, passionate team, all driven by the spirit of determination and innovation and as you learn more about our company, we think you will agree that there is no better time than now to become a member of the Norwegian Cruise Line family. www.ncl.com
ABOUT NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE
Norwegian Cruise Line is the innovator in cruise travel with a 50-year history of breaking the boundaries of traditional cruising, most notably with the introduction of Freestyle Cruising which revolutionized the industry by giving guests more freedom and flexibility to design their ideal cruise vacation. Norwegian operates a total of 14 purpose-built Freestyle Cruising ships, providing guests the opportunity to enjoy a relaxed, resort style cruise vacation on some of the newest and most contemporary ships at sea. Recently, the line was named “World’s Leading Large Ship Cruise Line" for the fourth consecutive year by the World Travel Awards. In the summer of 2017, we will launch our 15th ship, Norwegian Joy, sailing exclusively in China; https://www.ncl.com/norwegian-joy
The Chef de Partie is a direct link between the Executive Chef, Executive Sous Chef /Chinese Executive Sous Chef and his/her assigned production areas and outlets. The Chef de Partie primary responsibilities are to ensure all communication, standards, policies, and expectations are communicated to his/her team and then executed flawlessly. He/she achieves the objectives through communication, organization, and training. The Chef de Partie enables his/her team by ensuring equipment and sanitation standards are always met, supplies and inventories are readily available, expectations are communicated, recipes are current, and training is on-going. The Chef de Partie is expected to be a “hands-on” supervisor who leads his/her team by example. The Chef de Partie is assigned to be directly responsible for one or more outlets or production areas in the following categories: production, alternative restaurants, buffets, or main galley. The Chef de Partie should expect to be rotated into different areas with or without advance notice in regards business demands and career development. Chef de Partie rotations are at the sole on discretion of the Executive Sous Chef/ Chinese Executive Sous Chef and Executive Chef.
In order to consistently exceed guest expectations and provide the highest levels of product and services, additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Ensures all food is prepared fresh and is of the highest quality
- Strictly adheres to all recipes, methods and instructions from supervisor
- Ensures team reports to work on-time and in a clean uniform
- Maintains an organized and efficient flow of production, with regards to changes in forecasts and menus
- Ensures development of team members through on-going training
- Recognizes team members for successful achievements and contributions
- Coaches team members immediately and professionally to minimize deficiencies and provide encouragement
- Responsible for inventories to enable team members to successfully prepare mise en place
- Consistently checks temperatures in foods and follows proper procedures in regards to chilling, re-heating, and holding food.
- Maintains and reports waste log to supervisors on a daily/weekly basis
- Checks outlet(s) upon arrival to determine status of outstanding safety, or equipment issues
- Checks outlet(s) prior to leaving to ensure cleanliness, proper disposal/removal of food, and proper storing and labeling
- Maintains USPH/FDA standards
- Communicates and follows-through with appropriate departments to correct sanitation and or equipment issues
- Responsible for accuracy in daily inventories and requisitions
- Ensures proper rotation, storage temperatures, and proper storing procedures are observed
- Communicates with provisions to ensure successful coordination of requisitioning, and return to stocks, including variances, spoilage, and excess inventories
- Ensures all team members are properly equipped with uniforms, supplies, and tools
- Communicates with Food & Beverage team in regards to special events, changes in forecasts, etc.
- Keeps Executive Chef, Chef’s Personal Assistant, and Chinese Executive Sous Chef / Executive Sous Chef apprised of challenges productions and team members
- Ensures recipes are constantly updated to reflect changes created by availability or direction from Executive Chef
- Strives to continuously improve flow of production and all other outputs by submitting ideas in writing to Chinese Executive Sous Chef /Executive Sous Chef
- Continuously monitors food and labor cost in accordance with CBH
- Controls and decreases waste by maintaining logs to submit daily/weekly
- Adjust production levels to meet forecast demands
- Communicates with other departments to adjust production for joint product needs
- Delegates workload to subordinates fairly and consistently while continually striving to improve flow of production
- Adjusts scheduling appropriately in order to attend mandatory meetings
- Schedules regular focus meetings with subordinates to increase communication
- Continually maintains and updates daily and weekly reports in a timely manner
- Performs other related duties as assigned or as directed. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
- Must be familiar with the Safety and Environmental Protection Policy and the SMS, and carry out the policies and procedures appropriate for his/her position. QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION AND ATTRIBUTES
- Intermediate to Advanced knowledge of all Asian basic cooking techniques is required.
- Intermediate level Chinese Mandarin verbal and writing skills
- Advanced knowledge of traditional Chinese basic wok cooking techniques is required.
- Advanced knowledge and ability to use including stir frying, steaming, pan frying, deep frying, poaching, boiling, braising, searing, stewing, making soup, smoking and roasting is required
- Intermediate to Advanced knowledge of Wok Cuisine including cooking philosophies and principles are required
- Basic to Intermediate knowledge and experience to lead in all areas of the galley including buffets, production, alternative restaurants and main galleys is required.
- Intermediate to Advanced knowledge of herbs, spices and flavorings, is required.
- Intermediate to Advanced knowledge of all kitchen equipment, tools, and supplies is required.
- Minimum of one (1) year experience in a high production volume restaurant/hotel is required.
- Minimum of one (1) year experience in a fine dining or upscale restaurant is required.
- Minimum of three (3) years of general culinary experience is required.
- Intermediate to Advanced level English verbal and writing skills, including the proper use of English grammar is required.
- Intermediate to Advanced level Mandarin verbal and writing skills, including the proper use of Mandarin grammar is required.
- Intermediate to Advanced skills in typing and computer software skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, Fidelio, AS400, Micros) are required.
- Intermediate to Advanced experience and ability to convert recipes from metric to U.S. and vice versa for both volume and weight is required.
· Highschool diploma or foreign equivalent is required.
· Culinary School 2-4 year degree or foreign equivalency is required.
- Ability to read, write, and communicate with team members
- Flexibility to work any shift in any area of responsibility without notice
- Ability to provide leadership, motivation and training
- Ability to follow standards recipes and convert quantities mathematically
- Ability to taste all foods to assure correct preparation
- Demonstrate a sense of urgency
- Hands-on attitude, leads by example! Always goes the extra mile to ensure
- passenger satisfaction.
- The incumbent must be able to work in a multi-cultural environment; also, must be able to adjust to changes in schedules, assignments and deadlines.
- Passionate about hospitality and customer service driven
- Must have a professional appearance and good hygiene
- Respect for all co-workers and guests
- Pride in your work by creating positive energy, excitement and fun
- Able to work 7 days a week
- Demonstrate positive behaviors; smiling, being polite and courteous
- Able to develop a camaraderie with team members
- Ability to live in close quarters, share limited space with other cabin-mates
If you’re interested to be considered for this position, please click the blue APPLY button at the top of the page to get started.
THE NORWEGIAN FAMILY OF BRANDS
Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. is a diversified cruise operator of leading global cruise lines spanning market segments from contemporary to luxury under the brands Norwegian Cruise Line®, Oceania Cruises® and Regent Seven Seas Cruises®.
GET SOCIAL WITH US!
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
It is Norwegian Cruise Line's policy not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, and marital or veteran status.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.