Assistant Cook - November
GROW YOUR CAREER WITH US
At Norwegian Cruise Line, we know our future success depends on our ability to attract and retain the very best talent. We are seeking individuals that are passionate about hospitality and being their personal best. We are a dedicated, passionate team, all driven by the spirit of determination and innovation and as you learn more about our company, we think you will agree that there is no better time than now to become a member of the Norwegian Cruise Line family. www.ncl.com
ABOUT NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE
Norwegian Cruise Line is the innovator in cruise travel with a 50-year history of breaking the boundaries of traditional cruising, most notably with the introduction of Freestyle Cruising which revolutionized the industry by giving guests more freedom and flexibility to design their ideal cruise vacation. Norwegian operates a total of 14 purpose-built Freestyle Cruising ships, providing guests the opportunity to enjoy a relaxed, resort style cruise vacation on some of the newest and most contemporary ships at sea. Recently, the line was named “World’s Leading Large Ship Cruise Line" for the fourth consecutive year by the World Travel Awards. In the summer of 2017, we will launch our 15th ship, Norwegian Joy, sailing exclusively in China; https://www.ncl.com/norwegian-joy
The Assistant Cook is responsible for delivering products of the highest quality in terms of freshness, taste, and consistency, with strict adherence to USPH/FDA guidelines. Assistant Cooks are responsible for batch, a la minute, and line cooking techniques. He/she reports directly to the Chef Tournant. The Assistant Cook is responsible for following all standardized recipes and notifying the Chef Tournant or Cook of any shortages or discrepancies in products or ingredients. The Assistant Cook is responsible for keeping their immediate work area clean at all times.
• Ensures all food is prepared fresh and is of the highest quality
• Strictly adheres to all recipes, methods and instructions from supervisor
• Reports to work on-time and in a clean uniform
• Maintains an organized and efficient flow of production, with regards to changes in forecasts and menus
• Responsible for mise-en-place, and food service for station
• Consistently checks temperatures in foods and follows proper procedures in regards to chilling, re-heating, and holding food.
• Reports waste to supervisors on a daily basis
• Checks station upon arrival to determine status of outstanding safety, or equipment issues
• Checks station prior to leaving to ensure cleanliness, proper disposal/removal of food, and proper storing and labeling
• Maintains USPH/FDA standards for station
• Performs other related duties as assigned or as directed. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
• Must be familiar with the Safety and Environmental Protection Policy and the SEMS, and carry out the policies and procedures appropriate for his/her position.
• Intermediate level English verbal and writing skills, including the proper use of English grammar is required.
• Minimum one year experience preparing food in the following methods is required: roast, broil, braise, sauté, fry and grill (including breakfast items
• Minimum one year experience working in a food production and/or line capacity is required.
• Minimum one year experience in a high volume hot production operation is required. Formal culinary training may substitute at an equivalent rate
• Minimum of six months experience in basic cooking techniques and skills, such as knife skills, basic cuts, and all cooking methods is required.
• Minimum of six months experience in using/operating basic culinary equipment such as a steamer, fryer, kettles, and robocoup is required.
• High School Diploma or foreign equivalent is required.
• Two year degree from a recognized culinary education establishment or foreign equivalency is preferred.
• Proactive, Team Player, Problem Solver
• Passionate about hospitality and customer service driven
• Must have a professional appearance and good hygiene
• Respect for all co-workers and guests
• Pride in your work by creating positive energy, excitement and fun
• Able to work 7 days a week
• Demonstrate positive behaviors; smiling, being polite and courteous
• Able to develop a camaraderie with team members
• Ability to live in close quarters, share limited space with other cabin-mates
• While performing the essential functions of this job, all team members are required to stand; walk long distances on the ship; use hands to touch, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk, hear, taste and smell. All vessel positions require repetitive motion of bending, climbing, going up and down stairs and lifting more than 25 pounds.
If you’re interested to be considered for this position, please click the blue APPLY button at the top of the page to get started.
THE NORWEGIAN FAMILY OF BRANDS
Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. is a diversified cruise operator of leading global cruise lines spanning market segments from contemporary to luxury under the brands Norwegian Cruise Line®, Oceania Cruises® and Regent Seven Seas Cruises®.
GET SOCIAL WITH US!
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
It is Norwegian Cruise Line's policy not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, and marital or veteran status.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.