Laundry Master - Mandarin Speakers
GROW YOUR CAREER WITH US
At Norwegian Cruise Line, we know our future success depends on our ability to attract and retain the very best talent. We are seeking individuals that are passionate about hospitality and being their personal best. We are a dedicated, passionate team, all driven by the spirit of determination and innovation and as you learn more about our company, we think you will agree that there is no better time than now to become a member of the Norwegian Cruise Line family.
ABOUT NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE
Norwegian Cruise Line is the innovator in cruise travel with a 50-year history of breaking the boundaries of traditional cruising, most notably with the introduction of Freestyle Cruising which revolutionized the industry by giving guests more freedom and flexibility to design their ideal cruise vacation. Norwegian operates a total of 14 purpose-built Freestyle Cruising ships, providing guests the opportunity to enjoy a relaxed, resort style cruise vacation on some of the newest and most contemporary ships at sea. Recently, the line was named “World’s Leading Large Ship Cruise Line" for the fourth consecutive year by the World Travel Awards. In the summer of 2017, we will launch our 15th ship, Norwegian Joy, sailing exclusively in China.
Job Summary and Essential Functions:
Responsible for the efficient, daily operation and quality of the laundry facilities, ensuring the guest laundry, crew laundry and uniforms are properly cleaned and made available in a timely manner, and ensures at all times that laundry and equipment is handled carefully and as directed by the Executive Housekeeper. In order to consistently exceed guest expectations and provide the highest levels of product and services, additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
- Responsible for the planning, organizing, directing, and controlling of activities and procedures regarding all guest, crew and hotel laundry.
Knowledgeable and proficient in the use and care of all laundry equipment.
Responsible for the washing formulas; ensures all linen/terry/uniforms are clean and items with stains are treated according to policies and are removed from circulation until either clean, recycled or discarded. Communicates with Supervisors/Hotel Operations and the visiting technician from the chemical company when issues arise.
Makes every effort to ensure all linen/terry are returned to the locations in good condition; properly pressed, clean, free of stains and holes.
Observes good housekeeping standards and that proper safety is maintained. All equipment is to be kept clean and dusted on a regular basis.
Maintains production report records, evaluation reports, and daily attendance reports.
Initiates and prepares purchase orders for laundry and dry cleaning chemicals/supplies as needed. Ensures that reserve chemicals are in adequate supply and in anticipation of delayed delivery.
Reports repair needs, such as electrical and mechanical; follows-up with Engineering on the repairs as needed.
Supervises and logs the cleaning of lint filters and the general cleaning of the laundry.
Responsible for the proper disposal of all dry cleaning waste, sludge, and lint.
- Conducts the following periodic assignments:
- Weekly staff meetings.
- Monthly physical inventories of various hotel linens and towels to assess the quantity lost, torn or stained.
- Weekly record of the chemical consumption.
- Must perform and meet standards set by USPH and SEMS Rules and Regulations.
Performs other related duties as assigned or as directed. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required. Some college education in a related field is preferred.
- Two years' experience in laundry cleaning, the use and maintenance of the equipment, etc. is required; or two years' experience onboard ships as a laundry attendant is required.
- One year experience operating various types of laundry, dry cleaning, pressing, and folding machines is required.
- Six months experience in the proper use and handling of cleaning agents and chemicals is required.
- Intermediate to advanced verbal and written level of English is required.
Intermediate to advanced skills in typing and computer software skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, Fidelio, Micros) is required.
- While performing the essential functions of this job, all team members are required to stand; walk long distances on the ship; use hands to touch, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk, hear, taste and smell. All vessel positions require repetitive motion of bending, climbing, going up and down stairs and lifting more than 25 pounds. This job requires specific vision abilities to include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- All team members must be physically able to participate in emergency life saving procedures and drills. All vessel positions require full use and range of arms and legs as well as full visual, verbal and hearing abilities to receive and give instructions in the event of an emergency including the lowering of lifeboats.
- Work within different temperature changes—indoors to outdoors.
- Able to pass basic safety course.
- This is a minimal description of duties. Other work requirements may be necessary and assigned as business or maritime law dictates.
The above statements are internded to describe the general nature and level of work being perfomed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilites, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal resposibilities from time to time, as needed.
It is Norwegian Cruise Line's policy not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for emlpoyment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, and marital or veteran status. EOE.