Captain - Dai Pai Dong
Full job details
Responsible for the supervision of all aspects of the Restaurant functions, in accordance with hotel standards. Directs, implements and maintains a service and management philosophy which serves as a guide to respective staff.
- Maintain complete knowledge of and comply with all departmental policies, service procedures and standards.
- Ensure that standards are maintained at a superior level on a daily basis.
- Maintain complete knowledge of:
- Maintain complete knowledge and strictly abide by state liquor regulations, particularly those prohibiting service to minors, intoxicated persons and drunk driving.
- Check storage areas for proper supplies, organization and cleanliness. Instruct designated personnel to rectify any cleanliness/organization deficiencies.
- Establish par levels for supplies and equipment. Complete requisitions to replenish shortages or additional items needed for the anticipated business.
- Requisition linens/skirting required for business and assign staff to transport such to the restaurant.
- Meet with the Chef to review daily specials and 86'd items; update board throughout shift. Ensure that staff is aware of such.
- Review sales for previous day; resolve discrepancies with Accounting. Track revenue against budget.
- Prepare weekly work schedules in accordance with staffing guidelines and labor forecasts. Adjust schedules throughout the week to meet the business demands.
- Ensure that staff report to work as scheduled. Report to Manager any late or absent employees.
- Coordinate breaks for staff.
- Assign work and side duties to staff in accordance with departmental procedures. Communicate additions or changes to the assignments as they arise throughout the shift. Identify situations which compromise the department's standards and delegate these tasks.
- Monitor the preparation of station assignments, ensuring compliance to departmental standards.
- Conduct pre-shift meeting with staff and review all information pertinent to the day's business.
- Inspect grooming and attire of staff; rectify any deficiencies.
- Inspect, plan and ensure that all materials and equipment are in complete readiness for service; rectify deficiencies with respective personnel.
- Constantly monitor staff performance in all phases of service and job functions, ensuring that all procedures are carried out to departmental standards; rectify any deficiencies with respective personnel.
- Inspect table set-ups; check for cleanliness, neatness and agreement to departmental standards; rectify deficiencies with respective personnel.
- Inspect all aspects of the restaurant environment ensuring compliance with standards of cleanliness and order. Direct respective personnel to rectify deficiencies.
- Ensure that the Greeter stand is clean, organized and stocked with designated supplies.
- Review the reservation book, pre-assign designated tables and follow up on all special requests.
- Ensure that specified amount of menus and wine lists are available and in good condition for each meal period. Ensure that daily specials are inserted into each menu.
- Check the pick-up station and side stations, ensuring agreement to standards of cleanliness, supply of stock and organization.
- Monitor and assist Greeter in greeting and escorting guests to their tables according to departmental procedures. Ensure that tables are seated to best service the guests.
- Anticipate heavy business times and organize procedures to handle extended waiting lines.
- Anticipate guests' needs, respond promptly and acknowledge all guests, however busy and whatever time of day. Promote positive guest relations at all times.
- Be familiar with all hotel services/features and local attractions/activities to respond accurately to any guest inquiry.
- Monitor and handle guest complaints by following the six step procedures and ensuring guest satisfaction.
- Monitor guest reactions and confer frequently with service staff to ensure guest satisfaction.
- Check the status of all orders and ensure that they are delivered within designated timelines.
- Monitor and ensure that all tables are cleared and reset according to department procedures.
- Monitor and maintain cleanliness and working condition of departmental equipment, supplies and work areas.
- Assist restaurant staff with their job functions to ensure optimum service to guests.
- Answer outlet phone within 3 rings, using correct salutations and telephone etiquette.
- Access all functions of the P.O.S. system in accordance to specifications. Restock journal tape and change ribbons as needed.
- Handle void checks in accordance with Accounting procedures.
- Assist servers with expediting problem payments. Ensure all cashiering procedures are processed in compliance with Accounting standards.
- Issue manual checks when the system is down and ensure accountability of such.
- Run system-closing reports and ensure that all servers' checks are closed before they sign out.
- Ensure all closing duties for staff are completed before staff sign out.
- Conduct a formal training program on the required job functions with criterion expected and department orientation with new hires. Conduct ongoing training with existing staff.
- Provide feedback to staff on their performance. Handle disciplinary problems with a manager and counsel employees according to hotel standards.
- Foster and promote a cooperative working climate, maximizing productivity and employee morale.
- Respond to all pages by beeper promptly.
- Prepare and submit daily/weekly payroll and tip distribution records.
- Complete work orders for maintenance repairs and submit to Engineering. Contact Engineering directly for urgent repairs.
- Document pertinent information in department log book.
- Complete all paperwork and closing duties in accordance with departmental standards.
- Review status of assignments and any follow-up action with on-coming captain.
- Exhibit a friendly, helpful and courteous manner when dealing with guests and fellow employees.
- All other duties as required.
- Experience: Minimum two years’ experience as an Captain, preferably with a luxury or ultra-luxury
- Education: High school diploma; some college.
- General Skills: Must be able to perform job functions with attention to detail, speed and accuracy;
prioritize, organize and follow-up; be a clear thinker, remaining calm and resolving problems using good judgment; follow directions thoroughly; understand a guest’s service needs; work cohesively with co-workers as part of a team; work with minimal supervision; maintain confidentiality of guest information and pertinent hotel data.
- Technical Skills: Knowledge of various food service styles (i.e., French service, Russian service, tableside
flambé service, butler style service); ability to satisfactorily communicate in English with guests, management and co-workers to their understanding; ability to compute basic mathematical calculations; familiarity with food and beverage cost controls; familiarity with point of sale systems.
- Language: Required to speak, read and write English, with fluency in other languages preferred.
- Physical Requirements: Must be able to exert physical effort in transporting 20 pounds, endure various
physical movements throughout the work areas, reach up and down, remain stationary at times throughout work periods, and satisfactorily communicate with guests and co-workers to their understanding.
- Licenses & Certifications: Minimum 21 years of age to serve alcohol.