Sous Chef, Arabic Kitchen
Full job details
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Job Function / Summary:
Support and assist the Executive Sous Chef by overseeing the day-to-day culinary operations, including training, supervising kitchen staff and monitoring food quality.
1. Kitchen Procedures
2. Assigned projects
3. Service Quality
4. Standard Compliance
5. Key Relationships
6. Hygiene and Safety Measures
7. Human Resources
• Select, train and supervise kitchen staff in the proper preparation of menu items, equipment and safety measures. Evaluate performance, give guidance and discipline as necessary to promote quality products.
• Maintain the par stock level of all ingredients
• Monitor daily food store and market list orderings
• Adhere and ensure the adherence of all kitchen staff with the established HACCP and FIFO requirements
• Visually inspect, select and use only the freshest fruits, vegetables, meats, fish, fowl and other food products of the highest standard in the preparation of all menu items.
• Read and employ math skills for following recipes.
• Prepare requisitions for supplies and food items for production in workstation.
• Schedule culinary staff so that proper coverage is maintained while keeping payroll costs in line.
• Monitor to ensure proper receiving, storage (including temperature setting) and rotation of food products so as to comply with governmental health regulations, including coverage, labelling, dating, and placing items in proper containers of kitchen and service.
• Write, maintain and update all menu specifications, recipes and pictures, production forecasts, and ensure same are being followed.
• Observe production flow and make adjustments in order to adhere to control procedures for cost and quality.
• Check to ensure that all equipment in the kitchen is clean and in proper working condition and write work tickets for any equipment in need of repair.
• Regular attendance in conformance with the standards, which may be established from time to time, is essential to the successful performance of this position. Associates with irregular attendance will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
• Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, associates may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the hotel. In addition, attendance at all scheduled training sessions and meetings is required.
• Upon employment, all associates are required to fully comply with Starwood rules and regulations for the safe and effective operation of the hotel’s facilities. Employees who violate hotel rules and regulations will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
• In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the manager based upon the particular requirements of the hotel:
• Perform other duties as necessary and assigned, i.e. special orders, buffet presentation, V.I.P. parties, writing specialty menus for promotions, etc.
• Ensure menus for specials and/or brunch are completed weekly.
• Supervise daily cleaning and inventory of walk-in, storage and refrigerators.
• Communicate and assist the Executive Chef/Executive Sous Chef in creating innovative products.
The above key areas, responsibilities and activities reflect the items necessary to describe the principal functions of the job identified and shall not be construed as detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the job.
Previous hospitality experience