Sous Chef - Lani
Full job details
Ensuring Culinary Standards and Responsibilities are Met
· Manages kitchen shift operations and ensures compliance with all Food & Beverage policies, standards and procedures.
· Estimates daily production needs on a weekly basis and communicates production needs to kitchen personnel daily.
· Assists Executive Chef with all kitchen operations and preparation.
· Prepares and cooks foods of all types, either on a regular basis or for special guests or functions.
· Develops, designs, or creates new applications, ideas, relationships, systems, or products, including artistic contributions.
· Assists in determining how food should be presented and creates decorative food displays.
· Maintains purchasing, receiving and food storage standards.
· Ensures compliance with food handling and sanitation standards.
· Performs all duties of kitchen managers and associates as necessary.
· Recognizes superior quality products, presentations and flavor.
· Ensures compliance with all local, state and federal (e.g., OSHA, ASI and Health Department) regulations.
· Follows proper handling and right temperature of all food products.
· Operates and maintains all department equipment and reports malfunctions.
· Checks the quality of raw and cooked food products to ensure that standards are met.
Leading Kitchen Operations
· Supervises and coordinates activities of cooks and workers engaged in food preparation.
· Leads shifts while personally preparing food items and executing requests based on required specifications.
· Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
· Encourages and builds mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
· Serves as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviors.
· Maintains the productivity level of associates.
· Ensures associates understand expectations and parameters.
· Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with associates and ensures associates do the same within the team.
· Ensures property policies are administered fairly and consistently.
· Communicates performance expectations in accordance with job descriptions for each position.
· Recognizes success performance and produces desired results.
Ensuring Exceptional Customer Service
· Provides services that are above and beyond for customer satisfaction and retention.
· Manages day-to-day operations, ensuring the quality, standards and meeting the expectations of the customers on a daily basis.
· Sets a positive example for guest relations.
· Empowers associates to provide excellent customer service.
· Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and service levels.
· Handles guest problems and complaints.
Maintaining Culinary Goals
· Achieves and exceeds goals including performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
· Develops specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
· Utilizes the Labor Management System to effectively schedule to business demands and for tracking of associate time and attendance.
· Trains associates in safety procedures.
Managing and Conducting Human Resource Activities
· Identifies the developmental needs of others and coaching, mentoring, or otherwise helping others to improve their knowledge or skills.
· Improves service by communicating and assisting individuals to understand guest needs, providing guidance, feedback, and individual coaching when needed.
· Participates in the associate performance appraisal process, providing feedback as needed.
· Brings issues to the attention of the department manager and Human Resources as necessary.
§ Follow appropriate personal hygiene procedures to ensure food served to guests is safe for consumption, including disinfecting hands prior to handling food and wearing a hat/hairnet and proper footwear.
§ Follow and ensure compliance with food safety and handling policies and procedures, such as product rotation, First In-First Out (FIFO); dating, labeling, cleaning, and organizing coolers/freezers/storage areas; and Cold Chain compliance, across all food-related departments and areas.
§ Prepare all potentially hazardous foods at the correct temperature according to the HACCP guidelines.
§ Maintain kitchen logs for food safety program compliance (e.g., A1, A2, A3 etc.).
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. .