Head Coffee Roaster - Dubai
Full job details
The primary role for this position is to roast coffee and help fulfill our vision statement at Encounter. Regular duties will include roasting, blending, bagging, and shipping of daily orders. This is an advanced role requiring successful execution of many different tasks, often without direct supervision. An employee in this position must express a strong interest in coffee, have a healthy level of confidence, and demonstrate a willingness to work hard for long periods of time as part of a small team. Additionally, an ideal candidate will be an experienced coffee roaster, exhibit good communication skills, be well organised, detail-oriented, and be committed to doing whatever it takes to exceed our customers' expectations of coffee quality and service. This position is crucial to the success of our company and has a great impact on our ability to operate on the guidelines set forth by our vision statement. Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Follow Company Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) at all times.
- Ensure that a high standard of hygiene and cleanliness is maintained by following cleaning routines and through on-going diligence during the shift as well as set up and clean down procedures.
- Personally meets all HACCP guidelines, and adheres to all Dubai Municipality (DM) laws.
- Observe and follow the company’s fire training drill and health and safety policy.
- Responsible for being fully proficient with operation of POS system, ensuring accurate recording of sales, wastage, and stock.
- Roasting coffee to established standards and profiles.
- Designing roasting profiles in line with brand development at direction of General Manager.
- Pulling green coffee and loading roasters.
- Logging data for the roasts produced.
- Maintaining accurate records for inventory and reporting purposes
- Maintaining the quality control regimen as set forth by the Coffee Department
- Assisting with packaging, picking, and shipping orders
- Be a skilled coffee taster
- Organising and cleaning: Including maintaining the roasting and green coffee storage area, all production roasters, sample roasters, chaff collectors, loading systems,blending/weighing/ packaging/shipping equipment,and tools used in the maintenance of day-to-day operations of the roastery
- Maintaining active awareness of trends in the coffee industry as a whole, specifically as those trends may concern roasting philosophies and styles
- Developing relationships with other members of the Specialty Coffee industry, specifically other coffee roasters
- Participate in and lead coffee cuppings and other educational events
- Be fully aware of venue sales targets, as relayed by the General Manager, in order to meet personal targets in line with revenue growth plan.
- Responsible for production and delivery of all products as required in the venue.
- Provide leadership and guidance to other members of the team.
- Bringing a positive attitude to teamwork, contributing to the smooth running of the restaurant and interacting productively with other departments.
- Manages productive and proactive team of staff, who have been fully trained on all products, recipes and procedures, maintaining the highest quality and consistent service and product standards
- Responsible for ensuring each team member is given support and guidance on a daily basis
- Contribute and prepare for team meetings and briefings in a professional manner.
- Responsible for monitoring supply and demand to B&R venues and external buyers with direction of GM with the guidance of the Business Development Manager.
- Be a brand ambassador, fully conversant with Company culture and brand guidelines, with an excellent knowledge of sister venues.
- Responsible for being aware of work schedule and exhibiting unfailing punctuality.
- Demonstrates proactive response to customer service issues.
- Welcome guests in a friendly and accommodating manner, making a great lasting impression.
- To exceed guest expectations by serving food and drink in a professional, knowledgeable and accommodating manner.
- BE A SHINING STAR, an unforgettable face of the company.
Experience & Skills:
- Minimum of 4 years of experience as a head roaster in a busy operation.
- Experience in supervising or managing a team.
Education & Qualifications:
- Diploma or qualifications in barista, brewing, green coffee, roasting, and sensory skills.
- Minimum Education/Qualification: For visa purposes, a High School Certificate is preferred.