Corporate Culinary Trainer
per individual offer
Full job details
Primary Function: Responsible for ensuring the food preparation personnel, in cooperation with the Corporate Executive Chef and Executive Chefs, understand and follow all culinary specifications, procedures and activities established by Holland America Line relating to food preparation onboard the vessels and Half Moon Cay facilities. They will assist in procuring, developing and nurturing culinary and leadership talent as well as being an integral part in the development and initiation of new concepts in our Food related programs.
Reports To: Corporate Executive Chef
- Monitors and evaluates Executive Chefs as they guide food preparation personnel through company-approved recipes and presentation of all food items as outlined in recipe manuals and photographs. Acts as food operation trouble shooter and quality controller while onboard the vessels.
- Monitors and evaluates culinary operation by class of ship assigned.
- Monitors the processes and supervision of galley operations during periodic visits. Discusses issues with the Executive Chefs and makes recommendations regarding their management and leadership techniques, personal development skills and galley development.
- Reviews menus and recipes with Executive Chefs and may assist in training culinary staff in the execution of new menu cycles, dishes, and techniques. Monitors to ensure that recipe and product specification are strictly adhered to.
- Reviews all new menu development and makes recommendations pertaining to feasibility in terms of execution and appropriateness of new items.
- Monitors USPH standards in all areas of food preparation including service and storage areas. Conducts regular simulated USPH and unannounced inspections.
- During ship visits monitors all galleys for waste and over-production of food. Documents observations and recommendations and discusses with the Executive Chef and the F&B Manager.
- Monitors the HAL Culinary Apprentice Program and conducts training and cooking demonstrations for individuals enrolled in the program.
- Documents initiatives and challenges with standard reports and follows up on these reports with recommended action steps.
- While onboard the vessels, interacts and documents audit discussions with Executive Chef, Culinary Team and Hotel Director concerning food cost controls and provision requisitions.
- Participates in the development of new recipes and dishes using the onboard kitchens and products supplied from Purchasing as requested.
- Will assist in the sourcing, hiring, and placement of Executive Chefs and other senior Galley personnel. Acts as a culinary consultant to Human Resources regarding hiring and sourcing culinary talent.
- Will be requested at times to conduct internal culinary reviews onboard and follow up on previously conducted reviews with shipboard management.
- Evaluates the following functions/positions onboard the ship:
• Executive Chef • Pinnacle Chef
• Second Executive Chef • Chef de Partie
• Sr. Sous-Chef Lido • Second Pastry Chef
• Sous-Chef • Tournant
• Executive Pastry Chef • Butcher
• Baker • Demi Chef De Partie