Corporate Bakery Trainer
per individual offer
Full job details
Primary Function: An integral part of the Corporate Culinary Team responsible for the bakery departments on all ships in the fleet and properties operated by Holland America Line. Works with, guides and supports all Head Bakers in regards to recipes, standard operating procedures, bakery training and all bakery program initiatives. Provides and maintains the bakery promotion list as well as all bakery personnel development records to Seattle Corporate Office.
Reports To: Corporate Executive Chef
- Assumes responsibility of the entire bakery operation fleet wide.
- Monitors and evaluates Head Bakers and their subordinates for adherence to corporate standard operating procedures, team work and development of bakery personnel. Provides solutions to all challenges regarding bakery departments.
- Performs bakery culinary audits for all vessels to monitor the processes and supervision of bakery operations during periodic visits. Discusses issues with the Executive Chefs and Head Baker to make recommendations regarding their management techniques and leadership techniques for galley personnel development.
- Provides Executive Chefs with menus and recipes for all bakery menu cycles. Assists in training personnel to execute all bakery menu cycles. Monitors bakery operations to ensure that recipe and product specification are strictly adhered to.
- Reviews all new menu development and makes recommendations pertaining to feasibility in terms of execution and appropriateness of new items.
- Monitors USPH standards in all areas of food preparation including service and storage areas. Conducts regular simulated USPH and unannounced inspections.
- During ship visits monitors bakery areas for waste and over production of food. Documents observations and recommendations to discuss with the Executive Chef and the F&B Manager. Also forwards findings to the Seattle Corporate Office.
- Monitors the HAL training program of Assistant Bakers while visiting the ships and conducts demonstrations for individuals and groups.
- Documents initiatives and challenges with standard reports and both updates and follows up on these reports with action steps. Shares findings with Corporate Culinary Trainers and concerned management, identifying areas that should be considered needing improvement on each vessel.
- While onboard the vessels, interacts and documents audit discussions with Executive Chef, F&B Team and Hotel Director concerning food cost controls and provision requisitions.
- Participates in the development of new recipes and dishes using the onboard kitchens and products supplied from Purchasing as requested.
- Will assist in the sourcing, hiring, and placement of Head Bakers. Acts as a culinary consultant to the Corporate Executive Chef and Manager, Food and Beverage Resource Development, regarding hiring and sourcing culinary talent.
- Evaluates the following functions/positions onboard the ship while visiting and reports back to the Corporate Executive Chef:
- Head Baker
- Assistant Baker