Sales & Marketing - Director of Conference & Catering
Full job details
Responsible for the management of all aspects of the Catering and Conference departments in accordance with company and brand standards. Coordinates details and menus for clients' functions and maintains budgeted revenues through solicitation of business. Monitors and controls financial and administrative responsibilities including asset protection. Ensures the highest level of service by training and developing staff and executing the requirements of events based on standards.
Education and Experience
• High school diploma or GED; 4 years experience in event management or related professional area.
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Hotel and Restaurant Management, Hospitality, Business Administration, or related major; 2 years experience in event management or related professional area.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Leading Conference and Catering Teams
• Sets goals and delegates tasks to improve staff performance.
• Understands how to manage in a culturally diverse work environment.
• Uses problem solving methodology for decision making and follow up.
• Demonstrates personal integrity, manages time well, and is highly visible in areas of responsibility.
• Builds a positive work environment by demonstrating self confidence, energy and enthusiasm.
• Applies and continually broadens knowledge of food and wine pairings and cutting edge cuisine with emphasis on current event trends.
Managing Conference and Catering Operations
• Interacts with other conference and catering employees, customers and guests, vendors and suppliers.
• Demonstrates knowledge of all departments within the property.
• Applies knowledge of all laws, as they relate to an event.
• Manages department controllable expenses to achieve or exceed budgeted goals.
• Communicates conference and catering needs to various departments within the property.
• Understands the impact of banquet operations on the overall success of a conference event and manages activities to maximize customer satisfaction.
• Meets with the Chef prior to function to verify arrangements and to observe the quality of the food presentation.
• Meet with clients to plan their functions and highlight features of facility as well as available services.
• Develops lasting relationships with groups to retain business and increase growth.
• Manages departmental inventories and maintains equipment.
• Schedules banquet service staff to forecast and service standards, while maximizing profits.
• Prompts handling of all inquiries within market and parameters.
• Maintains established sanitation levels.
• Adheres to and reinforces all standards, policies, and procedures.
Ensuring Exceptional Customer Service
• Sets a positive example for guest relations.
• Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and service levels.
• Responds to and handles guest problems and complaints.
• Communicates all details of catering and conference events to operating departments and customers.
• Manages the quality process in areas of customer service and employee satisfaction.
• Empowers employees to provide excellent customer service.
• Ensures employees understand expectations and parameters.
• Strives to improve service performance.
• Emphasizes guest satisfaction during all departmental meetings and focuses on continuous improvement.
Supporting and Coordinating with the Sales and Marketing Function
• Qualifies business and tracks leads.
• Solicits and books meetings, conferences and catered corporate and social events.
• Finalizes and upsells catering and conference arrangements.
• Negotiates and markets to drive sales and create profits.
• Identifies customer needs and all sales opportunities which ensure successful local catering events.
Conducting Human Resources Activities
• Provides constructive coaching and counseling to employees.
• Directs the development, training, and mentoring of employees.
• Observes service behaviors of employees and provides feedback to individuals.
• Demonstrates knowledge of how and when to impose deadlines and delegate tasks.
• Motivates and provides a work environment in which employees are productive.
• Listens and responds to employee's needs.
• Manages group or interpersonal conflict situations effectively.
• Develops and manages hourly employees.
• Adheres to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action policies.
• Attends and participates in all pertinent meetings.The Ritz-Carlton is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. The Ritz-Carlton does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.