Full job details
Assists in maintaining or increasing the profitability of the Food & Beverage Department by providing timely management information. Carries out central activities in accordance to standard operating procedures as issued by the Director of Finance.
- Issues, on a daily basis, food cost reports, provides relevant information regarding unusual movements or results. Spot checks accuracy of transfers, credits, fruit baskets, VIP amenities etc.
- Issues the daily food revenue/covers report.
- Issues bi-monthly the beverage cost/potential report within three days of inventory date.
- Issues a comprehensive monthly F&B report detailing the results and including a market price index.
- Checks slow moving items and report them to the Director of F&B /Executive Chef for appropriate action.
- Updates menu costing and issues food potential cost reports for one outlet every two months or as directed. Refers high cost items to the Director of F&B /Executive Chef for appropriate action.
- Updates costing prior to menu revisions.
- Sets up effective control systems where needed in coordination with the Director of Finance and the Director F&B.
- Checks price increases on F&B items and reports the same for appropriate action.
- Checks F&B purchase requisitions for correct order quantity.
- Reports uneconomical orders listed on the market list to the Assistant Director of Finance.
- Conducts at least once a month a thorough market survey covering at least one category of food. Priority shall be given to fast moving/high value items.
- Spot checks the receiving procedures for quality, quantity and expiry dates of F&B items.
- Ensures the accuracy of the daily receiving report for F&B items. Verifies unit prices, meat tags, market list, purchase requisitions, store and direct issues.
- Checks the weighing scale on a weekly basis for accuracy.
- Verifies outlet par-stocks on a monthly basis for beverages and tobacco.
- Schedules and carries out month end inventories, values the same, checks and reports discrepancies.
- Spot checks the outlets on a daily basis, during working hours. Spot checks the outlets in the evenings and early morning at least once a week. Establishes a report on the observations and discrepancies.
- Reviews recipe cards regularly. Costs at least one buffet monthly. Costs at least one function weekly.
- Performs butcher tests on a regular basis and whenever large meat shipments are received.
- Checks regularly portion control.
- Ensures that employee meal cost is in line with the forecast. Calculates the cost of staff meals taken by outsiders.
- Verifies the correctness of the daily receiving reports, requisitions, transfers, etc. Ensures that only authorized signatures are honored, that no alterations have been made and that the calculations are correct.
- Checks monthly summaries. Balances the monthly purchases with the Accounts Payable Accountant. Prepares the monthly journal vouchers for food/beverage and tobacco costs.
- Prepares the schedule and staffing for inventory taking, directs it ensuring that stock counting is organized and accurate.
- Performs portion controls for high priced items as much as possible but at least 10 items per month.
- Ensures that “transfers” for employees’ meals are correctly done and accounted for.
- Ensures that all “transfers” between outlets or to other departments are prepared and accounted for.
- Calculates and accounts for officer checks consumption’s.
- All Spot checks and controls done have to be documented and kept in files for future reference.
- Controls that menu prices are the same as in the POS system every time there is a menu price change.
- Carries out other duties that may from time to time be delegated to him by the Assistant Director of Finance.
- Experience: Minimum two years’ experience as Food & Beverage Cost Controller at a 5 star hotel.
- Education: High school diploma;
- General Skills: Team player , hard worker , positive attitude
- Technical Skills: Sun system knowledge , Birchstreet system will be a plus
- Language: Required to speak, read and write English, with fluency, other languages
- Physical Requirements: Must be able to exert physical effort in transporting _____ pounds, endure
various physical movements throughout the work areas, reach up and down, remain stationary at times throughout work periods, and satisfactorily communicate with guests and co-workers to their understanding.
- Licenses & Certifications: HACCP certified