Butler - Mandarin Language
Norwegians have more fun at work!
Norwegian Cruise Line is the innovator in cruise travel with a 49-year history of breaking the boundaries of traditional cruising, most notably with the introduction of Freestyle Cruising which revolutionized the industry by giving guests more freedom and flexibility. Today, Norwegian invites guests to “Cruise Like a Norwegian” on one of 13 purpose-built Freestyle Cruising ships, providing guests the opportunity to enjoy a relaxed, resort style cruise vacation on some of the newest and most contemporary ships at sea. Recently, the line was named “Europe’s Leading Cruise Line” for the sixth consecutive year, as well as “Caribbean’s Leading Cruise Line” and “World’s Leading Large Ship Cruise Line” by the World Travel Awards.
Come join our team!
Job Summary and Essential Job Functions:
The Butler’s position is designed specifically to cater to guests booked in The Haven, Villas, Owner Suites & Penthouses. Focus is placed on giving these guests individual, personalized and impeccable in-room attention and service. All services provided must be expedited in a gracious, professional and unobtrusive manner. Attention to detail and a timely response in every respect is a requirement. He/She works closely with the Concierge to maintain the integrity of our best staterooms and provide in-room dining and valet service, as well as to coordinate set-ups for private cocktail parties or other special requests in accordance to standards established by the company. The Butler will be responsible for a section comprising up to 15 rooms. On vessels with The Haven, each Butler will rotate through a Night Shift ‘section’ as well. In order to consistently exceed guest expectations and provide the highest levels of product and services, additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
- On call to expedite guest requests. An off-duty Butler’s phone must be forwarded to another Butler during the day and to the Bell Captain or Night Shift Butler (on ships with The Haven) during Night Shift.
- Responsible for the Villa, Suite & Penthouse set-ups on embarkation day ensuring deliveries are expedited in co-ordination with relative department heads.
- Escorts guests onboard and if their room is being prepared, escorts them to the VIP Lunch. Otherwise takes them directly to their room and for Garden Villa and Owner Suite guests offers them champagne and warm (or cold) face towels.
- Trained in Housekeeping set-up of Suites & Villas and works in tandem with Stateroom Stewards and reports deficiencies to Deck Supervisors. Responsible to make corrections on Housekeeping set-ups and to maintain the highest standards of cleanliness, neatness and maintenance inside and on balcony and deck areas.
- Reports maintenance issues immediately to Concierge for issuance of work orders and follow-up.
- Utilizes the Butler’s Logbook on vessels with The Haven, in order to endorse open items between shifts to ensure continuous and seamless service.
- Instruct and explain use of all in-suite hardware including but not limited to hot tub, steam room, coffee machine, handy phone, TV/DVD player, iTV etc. The Butler does not wait to be asked about such items, he/she shares the knowledge so guests are clear on all the amenities available to them.
- Offers to fill the hot tub, deliver selected DVDs, food and beverage items etc. and ensure guests know how to contact him/her should they have a request or question or need to place an order.
- Clears glassware and crockery, service trays and tables from suites, corridors and pantries in a timely manner.
- Offers to, and knows how to, properly set-up ‘white tablecloth in-suite dining’. This includes table setting, taking food & beverage orders, and serving in-suite breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, and dinner meals from any menu onboard.
- Prepare cocktail parties including proper set-up; and serve in-room canapés and drinks when requested. Should take the initiative to offer guests the opportunity to host their own in-suite cocktail party and advise associated costs.
- Serves canapés at the Captain’s VIP Cocktail Party and delivers nightly amenities.
- Visits the Villas & Suites daily to ensure that fresh flowers, fruit baskets, restocking of sodas/water, and all other amenities are set-up properly and changed/replaced as needed. Cupboards must be well-stocked with polished glassware, silverware and crockery. Coffee machine set-up must be according to policy.
- Offers to escort guests to onboard events such as evening shows or to a dining reservation, and also to the gangway in port, especially if the vessel is tendering. This is done in collaboration with the Concierge and the rest of the Butler team to ensure time efficiencies.
- Performs Valet service, which includes but is not limited to, assisting guests with un-packing and re-packing of garments, expediting laundry, dry cleaning and pressing services, and offering shoe shine service.
- Records twice daily in the temperature log for the dishwashing machines and refrigerators.
- Performs regular cleaning and sanitation of refrigerators, bread warmers, ovens, toasters, juice and coffee machines, etc.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or as directed. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
- Two-year Associates degree or equivalent in Hotel Management and/or Guest Relations from a recognized hotel institution.
- Minimum two years experience in a Hotel or relative establishments; or minimum two years experience in a Guest Service related position onboard a ship.
- Intermediate to Advanced verbal and written ability English.
- Intermediate verbal and written ability in at least one of the following languages is preferred: Mandarin, Spanish, German, French or Italian.
- Intermediate to Advanced computer software skills required (Microsoft Word, Excel, and Micros).
- Minimum one year experience in handling guest requests and concerns, with an understanding of how to expedite VIP guest wishes.
- While performing the essential functions of this job, all team members are required to stand; walk long distances on the ship; use hands to touch, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk, hear, taste and smell. All vessel positions require repetitive motion of bending, climbing, going up and down stairs and lifting more than 25 pounds. This job requires specific vision abilities to include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- All team members must be physically able to participate in emergency life saving procedures and drills. All vessel positions require full use and range of arms and legs as well as full visual, verbal and hearing abilities to receive and give instructions in the event of an emergency including the lowering of lifeboats.
- Work within different temperature changes—indoors to outdoors.
- Able to pass basic safety course.
- This is a minimal description of duties. Other work requirements may be necessary and assigned as business or maritime law dictates.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
It is Norwegian Cruise Line's policy not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, and marital or veteran status. EOE