Full job details
Responsible for all aspects of managing the kitchen and kitchen personnel, ensuring the quality preparation of all menu items and proper handling/ storage of all food items in accordance with standards. Coordinates the purchase of all food and develops menus, maintaining approved food costs and labor costs.
· Maintain complete knowledge of and comply with all departmental policies, service procedures and standards.
· Ensure that standards are maintained at a superior level on a daily basis.
· Review the daily activities; check the following:
Forecasted covers for each outlet
· Maintain complete knowledge of and ensure staff's compliance with all departmental/hotel policies and procedures.
· Establish the day's priorities and assign production and prep task to staff to execute.
· Review daily specials and offer feedback to Executive Sous Chef and Restaurant Manager.
· Review restaurant function sheets and make note of any changes; post function sheets for the next 7 days.
· Meet with Executive Sous Chef to review schedules, assignments, anticipated business levels, changes and other information pertinent to the job performance.
· Communicate additions or changes to the assignments as they arise throughout the shift. Identify situations, which compromise the department's standards and delegate these tasks.
· Take physical inventory of specified food items for daily inventory.
· Place the Daily Produces, Meat & Seafood orders.
· Requisition the day’s supplies and ensure that they are received and stored correctly; communicate needs with Purchasing and Storeroom personnel; ensure quality of products received.
· Meet with the Chief Steward to review equipment needs, banquet plate up assistance, cleaning schedule/project status, health/safety and sanitation follow up.
· Ensure that staff report to work as scheduled; document any late or absent employees.
· Coordinate breaks for staff.
· Inspect grooming and uniform of staff; rectify any deficiencies.
· Check and ensure that all opening duties are completed to standard.
· Ensure that each kitchen work area is stocked with specified tools, supplies and equipment to meet the business demand.
· Ensure that recipe cards, production schedule, plating guides, photographs are current and posted.
· Check P.O.S. printers on the line; ensure they are in working order and there is enough paper available for the shift.
· Ensure that all staff prepares menu items following recipes and yield guides, according to department standards.
· Monitor performance of staff and ensure all procedures are completed to the department standards; rectify deficiencies with respective personnel.
· Work on line during service and assist wherever needed.
· Be aware of any shortages and make arrangements before the item runs out.
· Ensure that F&B Service Staff are informed of 86'd items and amount of available menu specials throughout the meal period.
· Observe guest reactions and confer with service staff to ensure guest satisfaction.
· Promote positive guest relations at all times.
· Be familiar with all hotel services/features and local attractions/activities to respond accurately to any guest inquiry.
· Monitor and handle guest complaints by following the six step procedures and ensuring guest satisfaction.
· Conduct frequent walk through of each kitchen area and direct respective personnel to correct any deficiencies.
· Ensure that quality and details are being maintained.
· Inspect the cleanliness of the line, floor, and all kitchen stations; direct staff to rectify any deficiencies.
· Ensure that staff maintain and strictly abide by state sanitation/health regulations and hotel requirements.
· Maintain proper storage procedures as specified by Health Department and hotel requirements.
· Instruct staff in the correct usage and care of all machinery in the kitchen operation, stressing safety.
· Complete work orders for maintenance repairs and submit to Engineering; contact Engineering directly for urgent repairs.
· Develop new menu items, test and write recipes.
· Assist Catering department with developing special menus for functions; meet with clients as requested.
· Supervise and direct the organization and preparation of food for the employee cafeteria.
· Review sales and food cost daily; resolve any discrepancies with the Controller.
· Minimize waste and maintain controls to attain forecasted food and labor costs.
· Ensure that excess items are utilized efficiently.
· Monitor and ensure that all closing duties are completed to standard before staff sign out.
· Foster and promote a cooperative working climate, maximizing productivity and employee morale.
· Oversee and direct training of new hires in specified phases of the kitchen operation; maintain an on-going training program for existing staff.
· Reevaluate positions in the kitchen and make changes wherever necessary.
· Provide feedback to staff on their performance; handle disciplinary problems and counsel employees according to hotel standards.
· Conduct scheduled performance appraisals.
· Document pertinent information in the log book and follow up on items notated during other shifts.
· Exhibit a friendly, helpful and courteous manner when dealing with guests and fellow employees.