Sous Chef or Executive Sous Chef - Caribbean
This job has now expired
About the Company & Property
This award-winning, privately owned hotel group includes seven exclusive hotels and resorts located in the UK, Asia and the Caribbean. Four exciting new property openings are scheduled for the US and Asia - two of which will open in 2012. Located in Turks and Caicos Islands and situated within the Northern Caribbean. The archipelago of principal islands and smaller cays is rich in hidden coves, pristine beaches and reefs. The islands have protected their integrity and escaped the high-rise construction common in other parts of the region.
With 70 rooms, suites, beach villas, privately owned estates, and an award winning holistic spa, the property attracts couples, families and individuals looking to relax as well as quite a few famous people seeking to avoid attention. Food and beverages is world class and provided through two exceptional restaurants and room service:
- An al fresco poolside eatery - open kitchens serving Caribbean inspired meals during lunch and then morphing into a contemporary Asian restaurant in the evening
- A terrace restaurant - a modern approach to Mediterranean cuisine with a strong influence from Italy
- Room service - offering healthy options, indulgent desserts and western-style dishes
About the Role
In your role, you will report directly to the Executive Chef and will be responsible for ensuring the smooth running of the busy main kitchen including operations and food production. You will jointly lead a team of approximately 42 chefs, of which about 30 are expats and 6 are locals. The approach is fresh, contemporary and reliant on local and organic food wherever possible. The property has excellent seafood brokerage out of the US.
This role will be for a minimum of two years and candidates must carefully consider the isolated location of the property, as there will be little stimulation outside of work. You will be adaptable and prepared to take on the role with an open mind.
Depending on the experience you can bring to the table, the role will be available as either a Sous Chef or Executive Sous Chef.
- Leadership and management
- Food production and quality management
- Menu planning, design, testing and review
- Supplier sourcing and managment
- Ordering and stock management
- Food and labour cost management
- Training and development of staff
- Rostering and wage control
- Health and safety
- Extensive experience in either 5 star hotels or high calibre fine dining restaurants is essential
- Good knowledge and experience cooking with either Italian, Mediterranean, North African, French Riviera, Moroccan or Seafood centric cuisines.
- Highly passionate and a love of great food
- Excellent motivator and someone who leads by example
- You will enjoy taking responsibility, delivering results and will support taking the kitchen team from strength to strength.
- You will be a mature-minded and energetic individual with a great attitude.
- Would suit a single individual given the isolated location of the property
Culture & Benefits
The company deems its people as key to continued success, and staff are highly enthusiastic about helping to provide an authentic and personalised service which their valued guests have come to expect. Staff are passionate, loyal (some with 5-10 years service with the hotel group), respectful and who think originally and act instinctively. The company recognises hard work and dedication and there are many opportunities for career development and transfers to other properties located globally.
You will be working for one of the most exciting luxury hotel companies in the industry and additional benefits offered include:
- Annual home leave ticket with 4 weeks vacation
- Accommodation provided onsite
- Private medical insurance
- Management privileges
- One massage per month
- Tickets per month to use in the hotel's restaurants
- 50% discount on all Food & Beverage
- 30% discount on Alcohol
- Requisition items from general store
- Uniform and free laundry service
- Staff rates for all properties within the hotel group
- Career development opportunities
- Social and sporting events
- Staff gym
If you think you are ready for this exciting challenge, then don’t delay!