Assisstant Director of Food & Beverage - JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai - United Arab Emirates
Full job details
The JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai is set to become a landmark hotel in one of the region's most desirable destinations. For our guests, JW Marriott is the luxury hotel brand that provides an environment of simple elegance where they feel welcome and free to be themselves. Together, we orchestrate an experience that is expertly edited to leave only what is truly desired. The JW experience authentically reflects each property's surroundings, imparts a sense of harmony and wellness and delivers lasting memories. All so our guests can indulge in the ultimate luxury...the time to think and freedom to focus.
The Marquis endorsement is reserved for iconic properties in the Marriott International portfolio, defined by their scale, grandeur and location. The new JW Marriott Marquis in Dubai will be the first JW Marriott Marquis branded property outside of North America (after the JW Marriott Marquis Miami). Success of the property will be heavily reliant on the creative input, strategic planning, direction and foresight of a talented, experienced individual, who has the ability to forge and gel a world class, fully operational team. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to be part of an exceptional property, located in one of the youngest and most dynamic markets in the World.
Assists in leading the property's food and beverage/culinary operation, including Restaurants/Bars, Room Service, and Banquets/Catering, where applicable. Position oversees the development and implementation of departmental strategies and ensures implementation of the brand service strategy and brand initiatives. The position ensures the food and beverage/culinary operation meets the brand's target customer needs, ensures employee satisfaction, focuses on growing revenues and maximizes the financial performance of the department. Delivers products and services to meet or exceed the needs and expectations of the brand's target customer and property employees and provides a return on investment.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or GED; 6 years experience in the food and beverage, culinary, event management, or related professional area.
- 2-year degree from an accredited university in Food Service Management, Hotel and Restaurant Management, Hospitality, Business Administration, or related major; 4 years experience in the food and beverage, culinary, event management, or related professional area.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Developing and Executing Food and Beverage Strategy and Goals
- Works with direct reports to develop and implement promotions, food and wine pairings, menu items and presentations.
- Develops a food and beverage operating strategy that is aligned with the brand's business strategy and leads its execution.
- Ensures integration of departmental goals in game plans.
Leading Food and Beverage Teams
- Ensures that regular, on-going communication occurs in all areas of food and beverage (e.g., pre-meal briefings, staff meetings, culinary team).
- Works with direct reports to review business in house and potential business in surrounding area and troubleshoot potential challenges/conflicts.
- Ensures that regular, on-going communication occurs in all areas of food and beverage (e.g., pre-meal briefings and staff meetings).
- Reviews staffing levels to ensure that guest service and operational needs are met.
- Sets expectations and holds food and beverage leadership team accountable for demonstrating desired service behaviors.
- Provides feedback to employees based on observation of service behaviors.
- Utilizes employee feedback and an "open door" policy to identify and address employee problems or concerns in a timely manner.
- Communicates critical information gained from pre- and post-convention meetings to areas of responsibility.
- Estimate food, liquor, wine, and other beverage consumption in order to anticipate amounts to be purchased or requisitioned.
- Order and purchase equipment and supplies.
Maximizing Food and Beverage Revenue
- Reviews financial reports and statements to determine how Food and Beverage is performing against budget.
- Ensures cash control and liquor control policies are in place in food & beverage areas and followed by all related employees.
- Encourages calculated risk-taking to generate incremental revenue and deliver Savvy Service.
Ensuring Exceptional Customer Service
- Creates an atmosphere in all food and beverage areas that meets or exceeds guest expectations.
- Reviews comment cards, guest satisfaction results and other data to identify areas of improvement.
- Strives to improve service performance.
Managing and Conducting Human Resource Activities
- Ensures property policies are administered fairly and consistently, disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to Standard and Local Operating Procedures (SOPs and LSOPs) and supports the Peer Review Process.
- Conducts annual performance appraisals with direct reports according to Standard Operating Procedures.
- Communicates and executes departmental and property emergency procedures.
- Hires food & beverage leadership team members who demonstrate strong functional expertise, creativity and entrepreneurial leadership to meet the business needs of the operation.
- Ensures new hires participate in the department's orientation program and receive the appropriate new hire training to successfully perform their job.
- Sets goals and expectations for direct reports using the performance review process and holds staff accountable for successful performance.
- Establishes guidelines so employees understand expectations and parameters.
- Ensures employees receive on-going training to understand guest expectations.